Community Forum

CableCard blank screen anything encrypted

New Poster

CableCard blank screen anything encrypted

I quit using my CableCard for a year or so, just hooked it up again today. It gets a connection to Comcast just fine, it knows all the channels. The problem is viewing-- I can only view channels that aren't encrypted, basically any channels that are between 1-30. Is there something I'm missing because it's been so long?

Expert

Re: CableCard blank screen anything encrypted

@harimad wrote:

I quit using my CableCard for a year or so, just hooked it up again today. It gets a connection to Comcast just fine, it knows all the channels. The problem is viewing-- I can only view channels that aren't encrypted, basically any channels that are between 1-30. Is there something I'm missing because it's been so long?

Most service areas have moved from MPEG2 to MPEG4. That normally means getting a cable-box to replace the card. You most likely are seeing only the local channels. The rest would be encryted.

I am not sure if the card can be updated.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: CableCard blank screen anything encrypted

@harimad wrote: ... I can only view channels that aren't encrypted ...

All channels are encrypted on nearly all systems. What is the model number of the device the card is installed in? Some older devices cannot decode MPEG4.