Community Forum

Cable signal turns off my TV!!! Yes, it's true.

New Poster

Cable signal turns off my TV!!! Yes, it's true.

After the additional digital HD channels went into service on Comcast earlier this year, I began to experience my Samsung 40" LCD 1080 TV turning off spontaneously at various times and then immediately turning itself back on.  This was usually happening at the start of a commercial for some reason but it also happened in the middle of programs at times. Mostly with commercials.

I was using the same equipment as before the HD change so I checked all of my connections, rebooted the Sci-Atl HD set-top box and checked with Comcast tech support by phone, etc. but never a solution.  The problem continued after a new set-teop box was installed.  The TV picture and cable signal were fine but the turning off and on continued with the new Cisco box.

I did multiple box resets, changed the connector cables to components without HDMI connected and the turning off continued as before.  The TV worked fine while watching a DVD but not with the cable signal feed.

After a several months of this cr*aaa*p, and no help from Comcast, I discovered that the set-top box could be programmed for the scanning rate of the output signal.  When I checked on cable box settings menu, it was already set up at 1080i, the correct selection.  But I found the Zoom settings page for the new cable box, [Cisco RNG 150N] and used this setup to fix the settings to 1080i.  If I used the advanced guide to do the setup, my TV would not turn off on the 1080 and 720 settings but it would turn off/on using anything beyond those two scan rates [all of the 480's].  In fact, I could not see the screen using any of the 480's rate settings.

After setting it to 1080 using the Quick setup, the problem is greatly diminished and only rarely does it turn off.  So, I believe there may be a scanning change or reset signal at the start of some commercials that triggers this TV to turn itself off as tries to adjust itself to the scanning rate signal.  I tried using the pass through rate setting but the display is not always the correct size.  Setting the TV to 'just scan' the signal seems to help.  But nothing really eliminated the problem.

Perhaps there is some compatibility problem in the scanning rate signal between the cable signal and the TV.  It happens using components so it's not just HDMI.  It seems that there was a scanning sgnal change when the new HD channels were begun.  That's how it started anyway.

Comcast should investigate this problem because I've found there are other Samsung TV owners having problems with spontaneous power off events.  Perhaps a cable box tech from Cisco or Scientific Atlanta should investigate the scan signalling in the set-top boxes as well.  Perhaps a firmware update in the TV or the box is needed.

Comcast tech support should forward this message to the management level.

Problem Solver

Re: Cable signal turns off my TV!!! Yes, it's true.

Do you have a mirror directly across from the TV screen?

There are reports of light from the TV screen being reflected back to the IR sensor in the TV for its remote control and causing problems.

New Poster

This is also happening to me! 

The chat support person seems to think its the remote but I really do not think it is. It happens when I switch from HD to non HD channels, when I press the on demand button and if I press ok to send me to the HD version of a channel. It's very annoying! 

Comcast wants to send a tech (no way) or replace my remote but I am sure its not the remote. 

They really need to address this issue. 

New Poster

This is happening to me too!...It is very annoying, and at this point the tv doesn't want to turn on..I am trying to do anything I can to fix this, but it wont let me realize what its wrong, because it wont stay on more than 3 seconds before it turns automatically...This is buggin' me, I can not wacth the tv in a normal way, it keeps turning off. I tried to disconnect the signal fromn the box and the sound stays on but at the moment of plug the video it just turns off. Everythig was normal until this point..Can somebody please, tell me why is this happening now??...

Frequent Visitor

Spoiler
2 thoughts on this, place a piece of electrical tape over the IR sensor on the front of the tv, see if problem persists, disconnect any other devices connected to the tv via hdmi or dvi-- see if problem presists----next,
Spoiler

Spoiler
ive seen on some customers having very similar issues (mostly with samsung sets) i had to perform a firmware uprgrade on the set itself and then the problem went away entirely -- this is something you can likely do yourself via a usb flashdrive
Spoiler
g/l

New Poster

This just started happening to my Panasonic ST50 plasma also. Have you had any solutions for this?

New Poster

Im also having this problem. It happens when we change to on demand or the lower channels. It did start when they added all the channels up in the 1500-1800. Still don't understand what to do about it. Was going to get new box but you said that didn't take care of problem. Comcast better fix this problem or Im going to get rid of my triple play and go else where. By the way we have a Sanyo. redrob63

New Poster

I changed my settings t

from 480i to 480p and it seems to be working.

To configure the DCX3400 settings on the main User Settings menu screen:
1. Ensure the DCX3400 is installed properly and turned on
2. Press POWER to put the set-top in stand-by mode. With-in two (2) seconds press
the MENU key on the front panel.
3. If the TV is on, the on-screen User Settings menu lists the DCX3400 settings that
can be adjus

4:3 Override The 4:3 Override setting allows you to specify the video output format of the
DCX3400 when it is tuned to a Standard-Definition program or playing back a
Standard- Definition program from the DVR. Options include 480i, 480p,
Stretch, and Off. By default, the 480i option is selected.
The options are used as follows:
• 480i — The DCX3400 will present Standard-Definition programs in
the Standard-Definition 480i format (720 x 480 pixels).
• 480p — The DCX3400 will present Standard-Definition programs in
the Enhanced-Definition 480p format (720 x 480 pixels).
• Stretch — The DCX3400 will automatically stretch all StandardDefinition programs to a widescreen aspect ratio and present the
video in the format designated by the HDMI/YPbPr Output setting.
Note that the Stretch option is only available when the TV Type
setting is 16:9.
• Off — The DCX3400 will create a widescreen version of a StandardDefinition program by adding black bars to the left and the right of the
picture and present the video in the format designated by the
HDMI/YPbPr Output setting.
Note 1: Some televisions may only support certain video formats. Please
consult your television’s user manual for more information on format
compatibility.
Note 2: If the HDMI/YPbPr Output setting is set to either 480i or Native, the
4:3 Override feature is disabled and is no longer selectable in the menu. The
4:3 Override feature is available when the HDMI/YPbPr Output setting is
1080i, 720p, or 480p

New Poster

I have a 42" LG tv that's turning off normally just as a commercial is about to show. I had the control panel on my tv replaced and that was not the issue. The tv started doing the same thing 3 days later. I think it's something with my comcast box because when i turn the box off, even though there's no picture my tv doesn't turn off. I need to know how to do this override setting.
Frequent Visitor

We have had this problem ever since getting our HD boxes from Comcast.  When connected to the digital box (can't remember the brand) our Dynex TV cycled on and off and on and off continuously. We requested a replacement box and got a Scientific Atlanta box - problem solved.  Well, then our LG TV which was connected to the Cisco RNG 150 box started cycling on and off.  We have gotten 3 new boxes and the problem is still there.  Scientific Atlanta no longer exists so we can't get that box.  

Yesterday I put the Scientific Atlanta box on the LG tv and the Cisco box on the Dynex tv.  The LG TV has stopped cycling on and off, but the DYNEX is now cycling on and off.  So, it is definitely the Cisco RNG 150 box.

I've spoken to Comcast numerous times about this, but all they can do is send me yet another Cisco RNG 150 box.

Contributor

Hmm - My 46"  Samsung Smart tv started doing this tonight. 4 times in about 15 minutes. All during the beginning of the Red Sox game on NESN.

The other day, I had plugged a network cable into the TV because my wifi on the tv stopped detecting the IP address but that's a whole different issue. 

Well, after the 4th time of the TV turning itself off and immediately back on agian, I disconnected the cat5 cable from the TV and it hasn't done it since.

Could be just a coincidence...  or not

New Poster

zep33, how were you able to solve the network issue? I am having the same problem.