Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Cable box problems: buzzing static and clicking

Frequent Visitor

Cable box problems: buzzing static and clicking

I have buzzing static and clicking that is related to my cable box, as it does not occur when I play my DVD player, only when I watch cable TV.   I have already tried resetting the cable box.   The sound distortion is intermittent.

Any suggestions?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Cable box problems: buzzing static and clicking

if this a dvr box it might be going bad.  Weird sounds coming out of a dvr are not uncommon though.

Problem Solver

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Frequent Visitor

Actually, the buzzing/harsh static/clicking is coming out of the speakers, not the cable box itself.  It started about two weeks ago.   The cable box is actually sitting on top of the blu-ray player and VHS player, nothing is on top of it.  Could it be a connection issue (with the cords/wires connected to the back of the cable box)?

Silver Problem Solver

Very likely it is a connection or wiring issue. A lose connection could allow interference to come over the speaker connection. It could be a speaker going bad also although not as likely since the sound is good with a DVD.

One other possibility is that the audio output circuitry for the cable box could be going bad also.

Check to make sure their are no lose connections first, or even a alternative method of connecting speakers to the box. Any little movement can dislodge something even if it doesn't seem like it.

If nothing is lose try using a different set of speakers to eliminate any problem with them.

Also try getting a little space on the bottom of the cable box. Putting a couple of pieces of wood between the cable box  and VHS player or something will help. Keeps a little air moving along the bottom.

If the above two fixes don't fix the sound problem then I would suggest swapping the box for a new one since it could be the audio circuitry going bad.

Post back please with updates or further questions.

Frequent Visitor

I am still getting the following kinds of intermittent audio problems (1) skipping and (2) muffled static/buzzing even though I tried cleaning all the connections into the Comcast cable box with DeoxIT D5.  Again, no audio problems playing blu-rays or DVD's.  I am surprised because I've had the cable box only about six months (it was new and wrapped in plastic when I got it).

Silver Problem Solver

Skipping audio could be the result of signal delay, or a small level drop, coming into your box. Digital signals are touchy.

If all your connections are tight it might pay to check that any splitters in your cabling inside the house are able to pass at least 1Mhz frequency.

Also replacing any old cable with RG-6 may help, or at least checking to see if any cable looks old or damaged. If you are fairly certain it is nothing inside the house call and have a tech check the cabling outside your house for possible damage and signal strength. Damage to the coax shielding is always something to get fixed with new cable.

New Poster

Yesterday I picked up a new cable box from Comcast.  After hooking it up a buzzing/clicking noise occurs when fast forwarding, a hum when pausing.  I double checked connections (cable and hdmi).  When on mute, no buzzing, when increasing volumn buzzing sound increases.

How to fix this issue!  there was no buzzing with the previous box.

Silver Problem Solver

Do you have another HDMI cable on hand to try? It may be a bad cable.

Another option might be to check the manufacturers web site for any firmware upgrades for your tv.

New Poster

I am actually having the same problem with both my cable box and my DVR.  They are located on different floors, but the picture is fuzzy and the sound is cracking.  I have tried EVERYTHING; resetting the box, replugging in all of the cables, resetting the tv, etc...and NOTHING works.  It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it makes watching television UNbearable.  Are they any troubleshooting techniques I can do myself or do I need to have a technician come out to look at it?

Thanks!

The Howells

New Poster

I am have the same problem with buzzing static and clicking or loud pops. It does not occur with any of my other devices. I have found that changing channels will cause the buzzing to go away for a while, but it always returns. It doesn't matter what channel I'm watching and it occurs totally randomly. My cable box is the Motorola DCT2224/1662, it does not have a fan in it (or if it does, it is non-functional), and there is nothing on top or underneath it that would prevent air circulation.

New Poster

The static buzz you are hearing is most likely due to your cable being improperly grounded. You can buy a cable TV ground isolator to fix this problem. Make sure the filter range on this isolator does not interfere with your digital frequencies. So don't buy a cheap one!

Expert

Thread locked since it is 6 months old.