Community Forum

Cable TV setup with Motorola DCT700 & HDTV

Frequent Visitor

Cable TV setup with Motorola DCT700 & HDTV

I recently added Cable TV to my home--as already an existing internet high speed customer. I have 1 Dynex HDTV and several other older TVs so i received 1 DCT700 set top box for the HDTV & 3 DTA's for the other TV's I was told that  the set-top box would be compatible with the TV & had no problem setting up the others. The problem is the HDTV gets all the channels--on demand, etc with the remote, but not in HDTV. The pictue is just regular-though when i tried without the box, running the coax from the wall into the TV directly, the HDTV works great, beautiful picture but obviously cannot get all of the channels, etc. that i should get with the box. I have tried various other connections, called customer service and they sent a signal to the box, etc. but didnt work. Any help appreciated. I'm wondering if I got the wrong box instead of a bigger box that some friends have..thanks for your input..

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Cable TV setup with Motorola DCT700 & HDTV

The DCT700 isn't an HD box.  You need a different cable box, with HD tuner and either component or HDMI outputs to provide an HD picture to your TV.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response. I guess I was given the wrong box though I explained exactly what TV I had and was told this would work as did the the Comcast technical support person I spoke to at Comcast.

This is a recent model TV & does have a HD tuner and its surprising  to me that it does not work with the box--maybe it has some block, though when connected directly to the TV with coax from wall I get beautiful performance with many cable channels in HD format so just confusing..

Gold Problem Solver

It's the tuner in the cable box, plus its connection to the TV, that matters as far as receiving HD for all the channels you subscribe to.  With the proper box and connection, the tuner in the TV isn't even used.

Silver Problem Solver

It would also depend on what plan he is paying for. Since HD programming is a seperate tier.

Gold Problem Solver

The HD fee would be covered when he arranges for an HD box.  Of course it will cost more than the SD he has.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks again guys. I'm sorry but it just doesn't make sense to me as guess I need to go back to the Comcast office & get other equipment. Unfortunately Im not sure what the package was that i got as it's not on my receipt or on my account here as not exactly real time. But it was a package for internet & some expanded digital cable with free HBO for 6 months & includes Music Choice. What I can't understand is I didn't order an HD package but obviously many if not most channels are viewable on HDTV sets that are relatively new--the TV we have is a Dynex from Best Buy. Without the box or any HD package just plugging in the coax from the wall to the TV it gets beautiful  HD stations-from local news (we live in Atlanta) to a good portion of the stations--PBS, ESPN, CNN, etc. etc. These are formatted perfectly, width, etc. But if we set it up as directed--from wall via Motorola to TV, the HD content isn't viewable, there are more station but can't view them in HD--like I did on same TV minutes before directly from coax & I cant understand that--please forgve me as not updated on the new technology but I guss I need a common sense tutorial as dont want an HD package--just want to be able to view the channels that come with the package on this TV which I know is possible?? Smiley Happy

Gold Problem Solver

You will only be able to get the local channels in HD without an HD cable box when the digital transition (designed to provide more HD channels) is implemented in your area, because all the others will be encrypted.  If you want all the HD channels available to you, you must get an HD box.  Call 1-800-COMCAST and they should be able to tell you what your package is, and what is required for you to get what you need.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks again for your response. I can promise that the digital transition has been completed in my area for a long time & that without the box I receive more than local channels with just the coax directly attached to the TV. I may not be that up to date on everything but I ain't from Tuscaloosa either! Smiley Wink (BTW congrats on an unbelievable year!)

However after I posted my previous post, I went through many posts & finally saw a post that you contributed advice which seemed to describe my plight exactly, with the solution--that is using a 2-way splitter & A/B switch--am gonna try that..

Diamond Problem Solver

If your using a DCT700 you will not need a A/B switch. 

First you split the coax, one leg to the DCT700 RF input, the other leg to the TV/cable coax input on the HDTV.

Next step is to connect the composite yellow/red/white from the DCT700 to a composite video input on the TV. 

You then choose the TV's tuner to receive the available HD channels in clear QAM on the coax, and change to the proper video input on the TV to watch the DCT700's output.  No need for a RF A/B switch in your case.

You can get a splitter & coaxial jumpers from your local Comcast office or flag down a Comcast tech, no charge.  Beware of the many cheap splitters available at big box stores.  Anything without a soldered back might cause leakage issues.