Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Cable TV Flickering in and out, cutting out sound and video every 10s

New Poster

Cable TV Flickering in and out, cutting out sound and video every 10s

Hi,

I am having trouble with my cable tv service (on Super Bowl Sunday, of course!).  The cable keeps flickering in and out every 10-15s for maybe a half-second or so.  It's not bad enough that I can't watch TV, but it's annoying enough to be extremely noticeable, especially when someone's talking.  If I look up close, the picture is also grainy.  The problem is inconsistent and doesn't always happen when I turn on TV, but happens more than 50% of the time.

I've had this problem for about 30 days or so.  I've called comcast several times and they have sent a signal.  Finally I had a technician come out (and I'm sure I got charged for that) and the technician replaced a bad connection in the wall and in the place where the cable comes into my apartment.  He said it was fixed. 

48 hours later and I'm having the same problems.  ARGH!!!!!!! Does anyone know what might cause this problem?  It's so frustrating and every time I call comcast technical support, no one seems to know what causes this problems and all they want to do is send a signal to the box, which never changes anything.  Do I need a new cable box?  is the problem with my building's wiring? 

Thanks!

New Poster

Re: Cable TV Flickering in and out, cutting out sound and video every 10s

my tv does the same and has been doing it for years ..and for years comcast has tried to correct it ..it is in the lines outside and is referred to as tiling .funny how you pay in advance each month for what is supposed to be a perfect picture we are paying for ...yet they never really deliver

New Poster

i have the same problem, as much as we pay each much look like they(comcast) would have prefect picture and no problems with the internet. i wish other internet provider would come in this area other than at&t would like to try them out. comcast can't you get it fixed?

New Poster

Im having the same problem. I've had comcast for about 2 years now and have already changed out my cable box once. The problem still hasn't been resolved. I was told if I wanted a tech to come out to check it, it would cost me. Never heard of being charged by a company to fix problems with their wiring/equipment.
Official Employee

All - apologies for this issue.

Pixelation and audio-video dropout issues are almost always related to local or individual signal or connection issues. The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

Check to be sure that all of your cable connections are snug.

Give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST and we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved. Insist on a technician visit so that the signal levels can be reviewed and adjusted if necessary.

Thanks for your patience.

New Poster

Thanks for the response Ted.  I had read this forum previously and DID insist on a technician to come out and check the signal.  The technician came on Friday (4 days ago), and did check the signal levels and checked the connections.  He replaced connectors in the wall at the cable outlet and in the the box that brings cable into my apartment.  After a frustrating call to customer support on sunday and again tonight, the only solution appears to be to send a technician out again. 

When I was talking with the customer support representative it was like everything I said went unheard.  It doesn't seem to make much sense to tell me that the solution is to send a technician out again to check my service when someone was here only a few days ago.  The problem hasn't changed, and the technician clearly did everything he was supposed to do on-site to resolve the issue.  At this point, I do want a techician to come and check the lines in the building, but this problem really has nothing to do with my unit and something to do with an external link that I don't have access to.  I shouldn't have to take off work to make an appointment with a technician to look at a problem that is not in my unit. 

I'll give it a few more weeks, but if the problem is not resolved I may have to cut the cord.  I actually don't want to do that but I'm being left with very few options. 

Again, thank you for the response, Ted.  If there is some way to contact you to give you specific information about my location so that you can focus the service crew on my area, please let me know. 

New Poster

I should also mention that in my call with customer support, I did go through all of the troubleshooting procedures (check cable connections to wall and tv, read serial number on the only box I have to the representative, send a signal to the box).  This is the eighth or ninth call I've had with customer support.  so I've gone through the comcast troubleshooting procedures ALL the way to sending a technician out, and the problem still isn't resolved. 

Official Employee

PartyCaptain wrote:

I should also mention that in my call with customer support, I did go through all of the troubleshooting procedures (check cable connections to wall and tv, read serial number on the only box I have to the representative, send a signal to the box).  This is the eighth or ninth call I've had with customer support.  so I've gone through the comcast troubleshooting procedures ALL the way to sending a technician out, and the problem still isn't resolved. 

Thanks for your patience and apologies for the issues you described. I have reviewed your account and have notified the team that oversees your area of MD for their review and escalation so that we can get this resolved. 

Frequent Visitor

Good luck! Been going thru same issues for weeks. Customer service is a joke. No one will call you back!

Official Employee

rick15940 wrote:

Good luck! Been going thru same issues for weeks. Customer service is a joke. No one will call you back!

For your issue in Florida, I do see an open ticket that is being worked. We do need to send someone out to look at the cables on the pole near your address. I will talk with our Florida team next and get this escalated. Thanks for your patience.    

Official Employee
Moved: