Community Forum

Cable Box will not turn on

New Poster

Cable Box will not turn on

I have a Motorola DCT700.  Yesterday while watching t.v. it turned itself off and would not turn back on.  I tried resetting it with no success so today I went and picked up a new one.  It also does not turn on.  

Everything is hooked up properly.  I have tried plugging it into different outlets but I only have the one T.V. So I tried to plug it into another outlet by the T.V. and in another outlet in another room.  

The remote works fine with the T.V.

The cable box does feel warm to the touch but no lights or anything come on.

Problem Solver

Re: Cable Box will not turn on

Is there a power button on the cable box you can push? If I swiched out my cable box I would have gotten a new remote at the same time. Was your old cable box the same model, because remotes are programed to a certain model.

New Poster

There is no power button on the box and I got a new remote at the same time.  

And yes it was the same model.

Problem Solver

I have never seen a Comcast box without a manual power button on the front of the box. At this time of night if you call them you will reach someone in a third world country that has a hard time with english and works for less than a dollar per hour. 

I suggest using the online chat with a customer service representative. At the top of this page Click on SUPPORT. On the next page at the bottom right Click on CONTACT US. On the next page at the bottom left Click on CHAT WITH AN AGENT.

New Poster

I am going to bed now and will try to deal with it again tomorrow.  I have spent over 3 hours tonight trying to google a solutions - FYI. I do know how to online chat it isn't difficult to figure out but thanks for the step by step instructions.  I also called them yesterday when it went out and wouldn't turn back on. The person I spoke to couldn't understand it when I kept telling them that the box was not turning back on.  

the DCT700 most certainly does not have a power button (I really wish it did).  I have had it for well over a year with no problem.  And now two problems in a row.  

http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/1/Customers/Customer_Support/Digital_Cable_with_OD/Digital_Cab...

See no power button.

Problem Solver

I was not doubting you. Sleep well and have wonderful dreams where no problems exist and Comcast bills never arrive. I'm kind of tired myself can you tell?

If you have to take this one back then when they hand you the new one plug the power in right there in the office and press power on the remote. The light indicating the power is on should light up.

You will not see anything else but at least you know the power comes on.

In the link you provided I found some info that might be helpful. You probably saw it already but if I had the option of contacting someone other than Comcast I would take it. FROM YOUR LINK.

If You Need Help 
If you need assistance while working with the DCT700, contact the Motorola Technical 
Response Center (TRC): 
! Inside the U.S.: 1-888-944-HELP (1-888-944-4357) 
! Outside the U.S.: 215-323-0044 
The TRC is open from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM Eastern Time, Monday through Friday and 
10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern Time, Saturday. When the TRC is closed, emergency service only 
is available on a call-back basis. Web Support offers a searchable solutions database, technical 
documentation, and low priority issue creation/tracking 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. 

New Poster

Yeah I was definitely starting to get crabby and overly tired.  Sorry about that.  I definitely plan on checking it out before I even leave the store because this is nuts.  The thing I don't understand about this box though is that it gets very warm to the touch when it has been plugged in for a while (like it is on) but does absolutely nothing!  Very strange.  

Official Employee

Those models don't have a display or power source on it. When you swapped out the box did you change the power supply too?
Silver Problem Solver

renaenae wrote:

I have a Motorola DCT700.  Yesterday while watching t.v. it turned itself off and would not turn back on.  I tried resetting it with no success so today I went and picked up a new one.  It also does not turn on.  

Everything is hooked up properly.  I have tried plugging it into different outlets but I only have the one T.V. So I tried to plug it into another outlet by the T.V. and in another outlet in another room.  

The remote works fine with the T.V.

The cable box does feel warm to the touch but no lights or anything come on.

When you unplug the box and plug it back in do the lights blink like normal? If so then the box is powering up but not turning on, and since the box has no power button (yes, a DCT700 has no power button), it could also be possible the remote lost it's programming from the cable box and needs reprogrammed.  If so...

press cable

hold setup until cable blinks 2 times

hold setup until cable blinks 2 times

cable should blink a few times. if it does one long blink, start over

try turning the box on and changing channels