Community Forum

Cable Box to HDMI on PC Monitor

New Poster

Cable Box to HDMI on PC Monitor

I heard one can connect their Xfinity cable box to a HDMI input on a computer monitor to watch tv on their pc.  I don't have an actual HDMI input, however, I do have a HDMI to DVI cable and tried that: cable box to HDMI cable to converter cable to DVI input on monitor.  I got a message on the monitor that says input not supported.  I tried the same connection with a Roku stick and was able to view videos (no sound of course).  Any ideas why the Xfinity box won't work?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Cable Box to HDMI on PC Monitor

@Durwin wrote:

I heard one can connect their Xfinity cable box to a HDMI input on a computer monitor to watch tv on their pc.  I don't have an actual HDMI input, however, I do have a HDMI to DVI cable and tried that: cable box to HDMI cable to converter cable to DVI input on monitor.  I got a message on the monitor that says input not supported.  I tried the same connection with a Roku stick and was able to view videos (no sound of course).  Any ideas why the Xfinity box won't work?

The cable box ( when using HDMI ) is looking for an HDCP handshake from the monitor and it is not seeing it.  <????>   ( Need more info on model # of box you are using )

Frequent Visitor

I am trying to do the something similiar using Comcast cable box model M4 to Belkin HDMI to VGA converter cable to VGA input on monitor. I have audio but no video. Any ideas why this doesn't work?

Official Employee

You’ll probably have to adjust your video display settings to something different
Frequent Visitor

It seems I only have three video display options:

1 - Auto Detect

2 - Analog Input

3 - Digital Input

Selecting any of these options doesn't seem to work. Any other thoughts?

Official Employee

Your cable box video display settings, your setup isn’t allowing the present setting to pass through
Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to do this?

Official Employee

@SteveAreno wrote:

Is there a way to do this?

Xfinity button to Gear Symbol to Device Settings to Video Display and press ok. Caution: as noted above HDCP compatibility could also come into play

Frequent Visitor

It appears the monotor is not HDCP compliant.