Community Forum

Cable Box Keeps Resetting (every few minutes)

New Poster

Cable Box Keeps Resetting (every few minutes)

Today, it seems my cable box keeps shutting itself down and rebooting every few minutes.  It's getting really aggravating!  Anyone else seeing this happening?  

New Poster

Re: Cable Box Keeps Resetting (every few minutes)

Mine resets at least 1-2 times a week. Very irritating d/t the menu being unavailable for up to 30 minutes after the reset.

Silver Problem Solver

if your hooked up to hdmi try switching to component cables and see if that solves your problems.

New Poster

What would switching outputs do? Sounds like the box needs to be swapped

Silver Problem Solver

there are compatibility issues with comast dvr hdmi ports and newer hdmi software on newer tv's.  Does it not seem strange to you then when I ask you if your on hdmi the answer is yes?  just try it what do you have to lose
?

New Poster

It is connected via component, and has been for months.  This issue just started happening within the past few days. 

Silver Problem Solver

are you in an SA or cisoco market and were pushed the new software?

New Poster

I have no idea.  I fired off an email to Comcast a little while ago, so hopefully I will get a response within the next day or so.  I believe the issue is only happening on one of the two boxes that I have here, but can't say for sure.  

New Poster

I'm not sure that the hdmi / component thing is really the issue - my box just started doing the continual reset thing tonight and I don't have my box already is connected (and has been) via the component cables.

Contributor

Here we go again with another post about the box restarting every few minutes. Chances are that this is a wiring/signal strength issue. I bet that if that box is moved to another outlet it will work fine and if you get a new box it may work for a little while but the problem will return. The requirements for digital TV are much more stringent than what we had for analog. Cables, splitters, and such must be able to accept digital signals or there will be problems. Take it from a guy who replaced a couple of boxes and did a lot of troubleshooting. 

Although I've never tried it I suppose that if you removed the input cable from a working cable box the box would soon start to reboot every few minutes.

New Poster

Mine keeps doing that also!  It only does it on my TV that has the HD DVR box.  I have another TV that has a non DVR (but HD) box and it's just fine.  Comcast has been out several times and has swapped out the box twice but it still does it.  They also replaced the HDMI cable with the other kind of cable and it still did it, then they came out and put in a new HDMI cable and still....does....it.  They have NO idea why it's doing it and finally just told me to live with it.  I KNOW it's not my TV because a) it's a new TV, and b) I had Direct TV up until a few months ago when I switched to Comcast and it didn't do it that when I had Direct TV.  So it's obviously a Comcast issue.   Sometimes it does it every few minutes and other times just a few times a day.  If anyone knows what the problem is, please tell me!!!!

Contributor

i suspect that something or a combination of whatever is connected between the main cable and your DVR is degrading your signal, a good signal is a must with digital and HD. It could be a cable, splitter, etc. 

New Poster

thank you for the suggestions! would I call the cable company or an electrician or both? I don't have a splitter on that jack.
New Poster

I'm having the exact same problem.  The satellite boxes work fine.  Comcast is due out 8/19.  I'll reoort back with their results.

New Poster

I have been having the same problem for about a week. I did swap out my box with the amber LEDs for one with blue LEDs. Was good for 2 days then starting the same cycle. I have a signal amplifier in my main input cable line. I suspect that I either have a problem with that amplifier or my power is dropping. The thing is nothing else resets while this is going on. I will experiment tonight and post my findings.

Contributor

Bill188 does this problem affect just one room? If so your problem is most likely within that room.

bill188 wrote:

I have been having the same problem for about a week. I did swap out my box with the amber LEDs for one with blue LEDs. Was good for 2 days then starting the same cycle. I have a signal amplifier in my main input cable line. I suspect that I either have a problem with that amplifier or my power is dropping. The thing is nothing else resets while this is going on. I will experiment tonight and post my findings.

Diamond Problem Solver

Locking this 2 year old dead thread.