Community Forum

Buying my own cable box

Contributor

Buying my own cable box

Just wondering if anyone had any personal experience buying a cable box of their own to use with Comcast.

Is it worth it for one thing?
Then which ones are compatible?
Additionally do you still have access to the same features like the guide & On Demand

I used to have Dish Network and used a Google TV receiver that I liked a lot.

Thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Buying my own cable box

you cannot buy your own cable box to use with any provider it has to be rented.  Anything you see for sale on line is stolen and will not be activated by comcast.

Contributor

Well that just plain stinks! I was so happy after buying my own cable modem/wireless router combo because it allowed me to save $7 every month (which in just over a year allows me to break even)! Why can't they allow the same for cable boxes?

So then it's Comcast's fault for there being any better offerings such as Google TV receivers then, huh?
Silver Problem Solver

Its not comcasts fault as you say, no providers let you buy your own box.    Google tv, is a box that lets you add interactive services to you tv, its not a cable box.   The only one can buy and have activated is a Tivo.  that requires a large up front payment and monthly payments to tivo unless you pay it all up front.  if you were to go that route you would still need to get cable cards from comcast and rent those. 

if you just looking for an add on product like a google tv, or a roku player or apple tv, those let you  access things like netflix and hulu plus all you need to those is an internet connection, those also require monthly fees. 

Valued Contributor

This is the exact reason why Moxi and TiVo and home theater PC's exist and are so popular. I know in Canada you can buy your own Cisco and/or Motorola set top boxes but we aren't in Canada last I checked which sucks.

Contributor

I found information about connecting my PC to the cable box using it as the DVR, but am not sure if that would require me to playback my shows on the computer monitor or not; as well still would have to log on to the PC no matter what afterward.

I guess what I'm looking for doesn't quite exist - or at least not the way I want it. I mean there are all these cool features built into Blu-Ray players and products like Apple TV or Roku available, but it'd be nice if they combined everything into one single piece of equipment: a cable box that had a DVR built in, Internet connectivity, useful apps like YouTube, Netflix & even ones such as Facebook too, etc.

Am I the only person who thinks that this is a great idea & has a need for it?!?!?
Regular Contributor

You can't buy a "cable box" but you can buy a cablecard tuner and use your PC as a DVR with windows media center. Comcast provides a free cablecard and if you return all your equipment a small discount. I have the Silicondust HomerunHD Prime. It has three "tuners" so i can record and watch multiple shows. You should check it out. If you have multiple PCs or xbox's you basically have a whole room DVR already... and you don't have to pay $$ each month.

New Poster

I was just told by a service representative that I could buy and use my own cable tv box.  I'm having trouble trying to find out what compatible.  It seems Motorola DCT700 are no longer available.  Any suggestions?

Official Employee