Community Forum

Buying My Own Set Top DVR Box

Contributor

Buying My Own Set Top DVR Box

My bills are so outrageous and I just can’t afford to no longer keep my cable unless I can figure out how to get my bill down. I been researching and found out I can buy my own set top box but I had a few questions and really could use some advice.
I know this is probably a big fat no but looking over set top boxes Dish Hopper 3 (I believe 3 was the number) has everything I would love in a dvr set top box. My question is can a Hopper 3 even be used with Comcast? Even if they can they probably be astronomically high and I wouldn’t be able to get one so onto my next question.

What do you guys suggest would be a good dvr box? Possibly one that has like the movie apps? (Netflix or Hulu) What all differences would I be looking at if I did buy my own?

Can I buy just the cheap boxes for my extra rooms? Which brings up a question I had when I first came to Comcast we have to rent the extra boxes for my other rooms shouldn’t they get all the channels that my bigger set top box got? I mean however I am paying crazy amounts for cable.

I know it’s a lot of questions but I wanted to try to get it all in one post.
Thank you ahead of time for the help. It is more appreciated than you know because I am completely lost even when I’m reading about it. After the first two sentences usually all I see is blah blah blah. Help please. Like you were explaining it to a child maybe?!? 👶🏻
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Buying My Own Set Top DVR Box

The ONLY cablebox/DVR you can purchase and use with Comcast is Tivo. The cableboxes you see for sale online will not be activated by Comcast. You also cannot use DISH network equipment with Comcast.

Contributor

I read somewhere that you get a Cablecard to make them work and there is supposed to be many more than Tivo. I love the look of the specs on Tivo but not another monthly fee.
Silver Problem Solver

I have 2 Tivos, and no Comcast box. My first cablecard is free, the second one is $7.45/mo. I pay no monyhly fee to Tivo, I purchased the lifetime service. That lifetime service has long since paid for itself. My Tivos are the only bright spot in my service with Comcast.

Official Employee

Aedmonds217 -- The information given is correct, Tivo is a great option to go. As mentioned you would need a cable card for it to work.