Community Forum

Are there any benefits to using quad- over dual-shield coax with cable TV services?

Contributor

Are there any benefits to using quad- over dual-shield coax with cable TV services?

I had a Comcast tech at the house today who told me I needed to replace one of my coax runs. I called a local eletronic supply store in my area having in mind I needed  RG6 quad-shield cable. The guy somewhat laughed at me and said that they didn't carry quad-shield in bulk and that I didn't actually needed quad-shield cable. According to him it was difficult to work with as a plenum type cable.  Are there any benefits to using quad- over dual-shield coax with cable TV services? Would it just be more expensive with not much more in return? 

Expert

Re: Are there any benefits to using quad- over dual-shield coax with cable TV services?

@CustomerMS wrote:

I had a Comcast tech at the house today who told me I needed to replace one of my coax runs. I called a local eletronic supply store in my area having in mind I needed  RG6 quad-shield cable. The guy somewhat laughed at me and said that they didn't carry quad-shield in bulk and that I didn't actually needed quad-shield cable. According to him it was difficult to work with as a plenum type cable.  Are there any benefits to using quad- over dual-shield coax with cable TV services? Would it just be more expensive with not much more in return? 

Yes there are benefits from using RG6u (Quad-shield) coaxial cable. It works best for motorhomes  and trailers where RF interference from: exhaust fans, led or fluorescent lighting, air-conditioner, are all very close to the coaxial-cable. I use it because it helps me get television signals from over 150 miles away, with two amplifiers in my MH. My coaxial cable is not run through walls at home. Just along wall boards so no problem using there .

As for normal use by cable companies for homes, RG6 (single or dual shield) is fine since the usual RF interference items are farther away from the cable. It works for more than 95% of all installations.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Are there any benefits to using quad- over dual-shield coax with cable TV services?

Cable is a closed radio (RF) system. It uses the very same frequencies as over-the-air (OTA) transmissions.  The shielding keeps the cable signal in and the OTA signals out. Any unwanted frequencies are "noise". In the cable industry tri or quad shield is the standard as the modern day cable system has changed. Everything is digital and a lot of services are IP-based. This requires a "tight" noise-free system. 

Quad Shield RG6 is not rare or special, I've seen it at my local home improvement store

Or check out monoprice.com

Be sure to use the proper connectors. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

That would be true for new installations, or upgrading in some service areas. However; most people still have RG59 or unlabelled coaxial cables from the various cable company providers around the country, inside their homes, apartments, etc. 

I replaced my old coaxial cables inside my home with RG6u when it first started showing up.

Contributor

I can find quad-shield RG6 around here at Lowes, Home Depot and Ace Hardware. I just checked with the local store first because they are a bit closer and sometimes I get better prices with them.  Besides I have tried to support them as well.  The store person's comment did catch my attention, so I just wanted to check with you guys. 

The reason behind my question is that Comcast put a line filter at the pole in front of my house to block line noise supposedly coming from my house to propagate back and affect other customers.  As a result I don't have access to on-demand content.

A technician identified the bad cable, and until I replace it, they cannot remove the filter.   

Anyway, if the comcast techs are using standard/dual-shield coaxial cable in most home installations, I may just go with dual-shield cable then.