Community Forum

Amazon FireTv wont scan any Comcast Channels

New Poster

Amazon FireTv wont scan any Comcast Channels

I bought a brand new FireTv from Amazon and I can watch all shows through the internet fine, (Amazon Prime, etc). But when I want to watch the channels I get through my cable subscription form Comcast it doesnt work. I went through all the settings numerous times and troubleshooting. All thats needed to do is on the FireTv is to go to input>cable and then scan for channels. It takes about 15 minutes or so to scan and finds no channels. I've tried this numerous times. I called Comcast support but all they can do is tell you to reboot the set top box, which I've already done a few times. I checked all connections and they are secure and tight. When I connect the old TV all the channels appear. The way it is setup is the cable from Comcast goes into the set top box, and from theset top box is another copper cable that goes to the TV.

The only thing I can think of is that the Comcast receiver box is "old" perhaps and cant "recognize" the new FireTv?? So I have a Comcast tech coming and he's supposed to bring with him a new set top box with the HDMI connection in the back, I can try that and see how it goes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Official Employee

Re: Amazon FireTv wont scan any Comcast Channels

Put the cable right to the tv and bypass the cable box and run a channel scan. After the scan see if channel 3 shows, than hook the cable box up. All you need is channel 3 to show or use a different input type from cable box to tv (HDMi, component, or composite) depending on the cable box. If you look at the old tv, you’ll see the tv is physically on channel3

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for responding, I'll try that. I dont know how to get the FireTv to channel 3 though. The TV only comes with a Amazon remote control, not a Toshiba remote control for the TV.

Expert

@tolinrome wrote:

Thanks for responding, I'll try that. I dont know how to get the FireTv to channel 3 though. The TV only comes with a Amazon remote control, not a Toshiba remote control for the TV.

You must be talking about the Amazon Fire TV cube?

If so, set your television to channel 3 using the television's remote. It would be helpful if you could scan a copy of your Fire TV's instructions page(s) showing set up of cable connections.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Since you’re referring to an actual fire tv (not a device) try this, and substitute antenna for cable box or cable going to the cable box and see how far you can get. This more of an amazon question anyways, trying to save you a service charge...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202153750

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

ComcastAndrew, yes exactly, its a firetv and thats the link with the instructions I followed exactly and still nothing. I'll try what you recommended now with bypassing the set top box. I'll let you know.

New Poster

I dont know...I tied putting the coax cable from the wall into the tv, scanned "digital only", "Cable only" and "digital and analog" and zero channels found. For some reason the comcast cable just wont work. But if I plug my "old" tv back in, (not a smart or IP TV), all the comcast channels come right up.

Could it be that the new IP smart TV is an HD TV and I dont have the HD set top box, but I have an "older" set top box?

Official Employee

Channels are channels, it doesn’t matter HD or not. I would troubleshoot further with Amazon as it’s their equipment that you’re having trouble with

New Poster

Problem solved. I needed to still use the comcast remote control for those channels and only the Amazon remote control for the IP TV. I thought I could use the Amazon remote for both.