Community Forum

'AC Outlet' and 'RF Bypass' settings???

Regular Contributor

'AC Outlet' and 'RF Bypass' settings???

Good morning,

I am using a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD Cable Box, S/W Version: S25p2-7.1005.r-7.   

When I click on Menu > Main Menu > Settings > Cable Box Setup > I noticed two items I have no idea what they are for and thought I had better check it out.

(1) AC Outlet:   It has two options .... 'switched or unswitched'.  Mine is set on 'unswitched'.   What is the difference and is mine set correctly?

(2) RF Bypass: It also has two options ... 'on or off'.  Mine is set on 'off'.  What is the difference between them and is my setting correct?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Silver Problem Solver

Re: 'AC Outlet' and 'RF Bypass' settings???

The switched outlet would be used if you had connected your television to the box to use that for a power source. If you don't hook a device to the additional AC outlet in the back leave the setting as it is.

The RF bypass is an optional box that hooks up to SA boxes and allows you to connect an input into your tv if you wanted and use that without having the cable box turned on. It would automatically switch to the bypass every time you turn the box off. From what I know of this it would only pass unencrypted stations through that source. And I am not sure if the optional bypass box is even available anymore.

This link is to the user manual if you want to read for yourself.

http://www.sciatl.com/ExplorerClubGuides/getting_started/749329.pdf

Bronze Problem Solver

2harts4ever wrote:

Good morning,

I am using a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD Cable Box, S/W Version: S25p2-7.1005.r-7.   

When I click on Menu > Main Menu > Settings > Cable Box Setup > I noticed two items I have no idea what they are for and thought I had better check it out.

(1) AC Outlet:   It has two options .... 'switched or unswitched'.  Mine is set on 'unswitched'.   What is the difference and is mine set correctly?

(2) RF Bypass: It also has two options ... 'on or off'.  Mine is set on 'off'.  What is the difference between them and is my setting correct?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Normally a switched outlet would be hot (has power) if the unit (cable box in your case) is "ON", and provide no power if the unit were "OFF".  If it is set to unswitched the output would be hot regardless of the ON/OFF status of the unit.  Real easy to verify, hook-up something simple (like a lamp) to the output and try the different combinations...

Regular Contributor

Hi commanguy and edpeters,

I appreciate your fast and informative answers.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Silver Problem Solver

You are welcome.

Glad to have helped.