Community Forum

4K Box

New Poster

4K Box

I recently had an X1 DVR box installed and it makes a lot of noise.  I have a 4K Samsung TV and have read online that the XG1v4 is made for 4K and does not have a fan and thus does not make any noise.  My question is, do I need to have Xfinity internet to use the XG1v4 box (I have AT&T fiber).  I have read a few online posts that say a hard ethernet connection is required.  If my AT&T fiber is sufficient, I would like to place an order for the XG1v4 box.

Expert

Re: 4K Box

@MarkPodhorzer wrote:

I recently had an X1 DVR box installed and it makes a lot of noise.  I have a 4K Samsung TV and have read online that the XG1v4 is made for 4K and does not have a fan and thus does not make any noise.  My question is, do I need to have Xfinity internet to use the XG1v4 box (I have AT&T fiber).  I have read a few online posts that say a hard ethernet connection is required.  If my AT&T fiber is sufficient, I would like to place an order for the XG1v4 box.

i'm confused. what is the model number of the X1 DVR set top box? X1 requires that you have xfinity internet to get the X1 service.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: 4K Box

@MarkPodhorzer wrote:

Yes. Comcast does require us to have their Internet to use their 4K DVR to watch any 4K found there. I just use Comcast's Cisco RNG 150N cable-box for regular cable service (Digital Preferred service) which I have had for any years. You can use your television's apps to get most of their 4K offerings directly over your choice of Internet (I have DSL).

They did have the "Ultra HD Sampler" app for watching Olympics, etc. 4K in the past but chose to drop the app. The app worked for any choice of Internet. If the current cable channels keep going down hill, and they continue to not offer any 4K to us without using Comcast's Internet. I may be forced to look elsewhere at some point.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!