Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

2016 buying your own cable box

New Poster

2016 buying your own cable box

So, long story short I was planing on getting rid of my cable and just keeping my interent but cost wise it makes no sense. I have been reading articles that state, you can buy your own box and have comcast activate it. I was wondering who has done this and if it still requires a card as I know alot of boxes now do not. For anyone who has done this please let me know what box you have. 

I searched for this earlier and only saw a post from 2014. Im trying to see if any information has changed 

Expert

Re: 2016 buying your own cable box

Nothing has changed in 2016, one device available for retail sale is a Tivo, which has it's own monthly or lifetime costs involved.  It also needs a Comcast supplied cable card to authorize the channels in your package.  The bottom line is you only save $2.50 a month by supplying your own equipment.

There is also a Samsung box, but has not been a big hit on the retail market.  http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/GX-SM530CF/XAA

PC tuners with cable card slots are also available for retail sale if you wanted to build a Media Center PC.

Perhaps a streaming device and a other the air antenna would do it for you.

Problem Solver

Nothing has changed. Buying a Tivo or building a WMC computer with a cable card are your only choices.Smiley Happy

New Poster

Thanks guys,  I was trying to get out paying a stupid 10 a month fee for my box which in my eyes the first box should be free. guess im stuck with what I have, I hate how cable companies are a monopoly 

New Poster

I'm using the Arris SB6141 Cable Modem. I've had it for nearly a year and its been pretty trouble free. It does not require a card. I do have a Tivo and that has a cable card but only impacts the TV. I was able to eliminate the comcast wireless modem (and its rental fee) but not the individual tv boxes (I have the Tivo and three other comcast boxes). Hope the new legislation in the works gives us all more choices.

Expert

joeski83 wrote:

Thanks guys,  I was trying to get out paying a stupid 10 a month fee for my box which in my eyes the first box should be free. guess im stuck with what I have, I hate how cable companies are a monopoly 

The first box is included with your digital TV service.  If your getting charged, then it's time to contact comcast to get the billing issue corrected.

1-800-266-2278

New Poster

HDHomerunSmiley Happy