Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

1 Cable Box, 2 TVs

New Poster

1 Cable Box, 2 TVs

Hello,

Hope you are doing well.

I am setting up a dual tv setup and I am wondering if it is possible to do this without having 2 cable boxes.  Is there a way to either leverage a single cable box for the two TVs or does Comcast offer a cable box that has a built in splitter?  I am just trying to avoid paying for 2 cable boxes and also be efficient in the equipment that I have in my setup.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: 1 Cable Box, 2 TVs

Assume you are talking SD (not HD).  Indeed your options would be to add a splitter to the output of your Comcast box (on the RF cable), or if your Comcast box also has A/V outputs (Yellow, Red, White) and one of your TVs has a video input you could use RF for one and the A/V cables for the other..

Official Employee

Yep that's the solution and the only downfall is both tvs will be showing the same channel at the same time.
New Poster

Thanks for the reply.

And to answer the questions above, I am looking to have HD on both TVs and definitely to have different content on each TV.  Can this only be achieved through 2 Cable Boxes or is there an option to have a single Cable Box with two different outputs?

Lastly, if the only option is to have 2 different Cable Boxes, is it possible to have a different frequency put on each remote?  Currently when I set this up, both remotes will do the same thing on both TVs.  Is it possible to change the frequency so that each remote only impacts each Cable Box?  Hope that makes sense, thanks for the help!

Mike

Official Employee

For what you want to do, you need 2 cable boxes.
You cant change frequencies but depending on what you want to watch, you can put an hd box on one tv and, if its available in your area, an HD dta on the other
New Poster

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate the feedback.

Last question, if I have two cable boxes, is there a way to have a different frequency on each remote/cable box combo?  So that when I change the channel with one remote it won't change the other tv?  When I have set this up before, i need to walk over and change the channel really close to one of the cable boxes or else it will make the change on both.  Does that make sense?  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike

Bronze Problem Solver

If you don't need channels about Digital starter, and don't need a program guide, and do not need On Demand:  Then you can use a uDTA (AKA HD DTA) instead of a set-top box.  Yes the two boxes are tuned independently..