Community Forum

Receiving verification code via texts not requested

New Poster

Receiving verification code via texts not requested

I am receiving texts daily at the same time each day from 266278.   The texts read "Here's your XFINITY verification code: {6-digit number}".   No one in my family is attempting to log in.   Are these legitimate texts, and if so, is someone trying to hack into my account?   Are they spoof texts that I can simply block?

Admin1

Re: Receiving verification code via texts not requested

Hi edge907 -- Those notifications would be coming from us. They are sent when you are attempting to reset your password. The notification would be sent for any of the user ID's listed on your account. You may want to get with each person with a user ID to confirm if any of them are making this attempt. 

New Poster

I am experiencing the same issue. I have now received 3 texts with a verification code and nobody on my network requested it. I’ve reached out and not heard back about this.
New Poster

I’m experiencing the same thing with no explanation from them.
Official Employee

Hi MF7. I can assist in researching your account for a reason why you are receiving these texts. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Expert

@edge907 wrote:

I am receiving texts daily at the same time each day from 266278.   The texts read "Here's your XFINITY verification code: {6-digit number}".   No one in my family is attempting to log in.   Are these legitimate texts, and if so, is someone trying to hack into my account?   Are they spoof texts that I can simply block?

My account has Two Factor Authentication enabled, so that every time someone tries to log in from a new device, a verification code is sent to my phone. Unless the code is entered at the prompt, the logon is denied. 

If you have 2FA enabled, then possibly your email info was compromised somehow. Change your password and see if the texts persist. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Official Employee

^ This. 

Great idea, darkangelic.

New Poster

I have been getting this every morning for the past 3 days while i'm at work but not using the account.I'm not trying to reset a password and the other user on the account is no where near his phone. I tried to chat and someone offshore talked about adding a second phone number.  Nope. Didn't do anything at all They said they need a second number. I asked WHY AM I GETTING THESE TEXTS? The offshore chat rep said there has been no hacking into my account and chatted again about phone numbers so I gave up.  

No one is trying to change their password or change their account in any way so why are we getting these texts every single day? 

New Poster

Thank you darkangelic, your suggestion worked. I had been receiving this same text message approximately 3 to 7 times every minute (this is not an exaggeration) for 24 hours. I called Xfinity and they were not any help. It seems like some kind of automated computer hacking attempt. I hope this helps anyone that may have the same problem in the future.

Official Employee

@nicollejoy

Could you try @darkangelic's suggestion to see if this helps you or not? 

New Poster

Re: verification code not sent

I have always been able to receive email on my phone until yesterday. I follow the app request to sign in and then verify. I get to the step where i am to receive a text with verification code but it never comes in. Any advise greatly appreciated.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: verification code not sent

Hey @mdderosa

I'd like to review your account to see what information we have on file and if I can help get this resolved. Can you send me a private message with your first and last name and the phone number associated with your account? To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.  

New Poster

Changing the password seemed to have stopped the repeating text messages. Thank you!

For those who have, It is our responsibility to give.
Regular Visitor

My wife just received a verification code via text, but the problem with that is that none of her info is listed on our account.

So she should not be receiving them.

Official Employee

Hello, mholmes205. I would be happy to take a look into this issue for you. Please send me a Private Message with your full name so I can assist you further. 

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".