Community Forum

Online Account Procedure for Returning to Comcast after Previously Cancelling

Frequent Visitor

Online Account Procedure for Returning to Comcast after Previously Cancelling

My parents switched from Comcast to Verizon FiOS about a year ago, and they're going to return to Comcast at the same address in about a week. I'm helping them out with switching back, but I'm a little confused as to how to properly handle this from the online account perspective. Here's where we stand.

The online account for the old Comcast services (Internet/TV/Voice) that they cancelled a year ago is still available to log into (I used it to log into this forum.). This time around however, they're just going to subscribe to standalone Internet service, and they already signed up for that from the typical new customer sign up page. When signing up, they provided an e-mail address that is NOT associated with their old account. I have a few questions.

1. Should they create a brand new online account for this new standalone Internet service, or should they try to associate this new service with their old online account that is currently associated with their previously cancelled services?

2. If they do need to create a brand new online account, should they do that now, or should they do that at the same time they actually activate the new service in about a week?

3. If they should create a brand new online account now, what are the proper steps for doing that? They did get an order confirmation e-mail, and there is a link to create a new XFINITY user name. I'm however not sure if that's the same thing as creating a brand new online account. When I click that link, it says I first need to confirm one of the following details associated with my account (mobile phone number, social security number, or account number). That's kind of confusing though, because if my new online account doesn't yet exist, how can I provide details associated with that account? We did attempt to continue with the mobile number option, but we than ran into a couple separate issues. When we provided a certain phone number, it rejected the service address we were then attempting to provide, even though there was nothing wrong with it. When we tried a different phone number, it accepted the same service address that it previously rejected, but we then couldn't get past the user creation window. We entered all the user data, but when attempting to save it, it just returned us back to the user creation window with no message as to what went wrong.

Expert

Re: Online Account Procedure for Returning to Comcast after Previously Cancelling

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Online Account Procedure for Returning to Comcast after Previously Cancelling

Quick update. I'm good to go. Apparently a brand new account was created, when we signed up for the new service, but they just never sent us the new account number. They gave me the new account number today.

Official Employee

Thank you for this update, if you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist. Thank you.