Community Forum

Changes to these forums

Problem Solver

Changes to these forums

Could someone please explain why the post numbering system has been removed?  I know it's been mentioned before, but have not seen any responses.  

Also, the removal of the ability to read multiple NEW posts within a board with the previous or next box.  I had previously questioned this, but again have not seen any responses.

There used to be a thread at the head of this board regarding the changes and bugs and expectations, but  it seems to have been ARCHIVED. 

Expert

Re: Changes to these forums

@BlueJay wrote:

Could someone please explain why the post numbering system has been removed?  I know it's been mentioned before, but have not seen any responses.  

Also, the removal of the ability to read multiple NEW posts within a board with the previous or next box.  I had previously questioned this, but again have not seen any responses.

There used to be a thread at the head of this board regarding the changes and bugs and expectations, but  it seems to have been ARCHIVED. 

As an old programmer, I can still figure out the logic and flow of programs without access to the actual code. Once Comcast and experts had ability to merge different posts including ones we had already solved, the post numbering counter and counter for separate number of reads were thrown off and made useless. Remember the number of solves and kudos we lost back starting in December 2107? The one promised to be re-instated, but it never happened?

Since the logic for the code was really messed up, the simple fix was to just remove the counters. I don't think we will ever see them back.

Regular Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@BlueJay wrote:

As an old programmer, I can still figure out the logic and flow of programs without access to the actual code. Once Comcast and experts had ability to merge different posts including ones we had already solved, the post numbering counter and counter for separate number of reads were thrown off and made useless. Remember the number of solves and kudos we lost back starting in December 2107? The one promised to be re-instated, but it never happened?

Since the logic for the code was really messed up, the simple fix was to just remove the counters. I don't think we will ever see them back.

Who cares on solves and kudos, are you that low on self esteem that you need redemption.

Expert

@Wolverine062 wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@BlueJay wrote:

Who cares on solves and kudos, are you that low on self esteem that you need redemption.

Only one reason. If you really understand how this system works, it is designed to make Comcast employees and company picked experts look better because the system is slanted in their favor. Forums without titles and kudos function in a more democratic way. Only thing kept tract of there is number of posts. This forum used to be run that way until about 3 years ago.

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@Wolverine062 wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@BlueJay wrote:

Only one reason. If you really understand how this system works, it is designed to make Comcast employees and company picked experts look better because the system is slanted in their favor. Forums without titles and kudos function in a more democratic way. Only thing kept tract of there is number of posts. This forum used to be run that way until about 3 years ago.

This is your assumption and opinion and isn't necessarily true.  You shouldn't make unsubstantiated statements such as this.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Administrator

All,

These feature was actually removed by Lithium in a firmware update last year. We are looking to add this feature back soon. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Problem Solver

@BlueJay wrote:

I am responding to the GREEN BOX NOTICE  posted to my first post.  {these duplicate notices are very distracting}

What feature{s} were removed and will be added back {soon}?  I mentioned 2 separate items, but the wording in the box did not specify either, or, or both.

Administrator

@BlueJay

@BlueJay wrote:

@BlueJay wrote:

This is the feature I was referring to that I said was removed as part of a firmware update by Lithium and we are working on getting it added back as soon as possible. 

Again, this was a feature removed by Lithium last year. I believe that it was done in an effort to make their communities easier to use for the average user. More than 95% of all of our forum users only drop into a post and never view the larger discussion boards. They are not reviewing all posts on a board and are not using the forum in the same way you do. We completely understand the confusion/inconvenience this may cause, but again I believe that it was done in an effort to make the forum easier/less confusing for the majority of all forum users. 

I am responding to the GREEN BOX NOTICE  posted to my first post.  {these duplicate notices are very distracting}

What feature{s} were removed and will be added back {soon}?  I mentioned 2 separate items, but the wording in the box did not specify either, or, or both.

The "Green Box Notice" you are discussing is the marked Best Answer. This feature has been around in our community for years and is a best practice for all Lithium communities. This allows those 95% of users who are coming to our forum by doing a Google search and dropping into a thread directly to find the answer they are looking for quickly. Again, this has been a feature of this community long before I joined the team in 2016. The only thing that has changed is the green box around the solution to make it more prominent. 

I hope this answers your questions. As mentioned in the past, since there is no board for community related questions, feel free to send those to me directly to ensure the quickest response. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Problem Solver

@ComcastJessie wrote:

@BlueJay

@BlueJay wrote:

@BlueJay wrote:

This is the feature I was referring to that I said was removed as part of a firmware update by Lithium and we are working on getting it added back as soon as possible. 

I'm happy to read that the numbering system will be added back as soon as possible.  Hopefully before the end of his year. Smiley Wink

Again, this was a feature removed by Lithium last year. I believe that it was done in an effort to make their communities easier to use for the average user. More than 95% of all of our forum users only drop into a post and never view the larger discussion boards. They are not reviewing all posts on a board and are not using the forum in the same way you do. We completely understand the confusion/inconvenience this may cause, but again I believe that it was done in an effort to make the forum easier/less confusing for the majority of all forum users. 

Not so happy with the non returning function of the next and previous boxes.  This method of reading posts in a board was recommended by "CajunTek" many years ago, way before your time, and I found  it a blessing to use, versus the time consuming back and forth method now needed to read multiple posts within a board.  

The "Green Box Notice" you are discussing is the marked Best Answer. This feature has been around in our community for years and is a best practice for all Lithium communities. This allows those 95% of users who are coming to our forum by doing a Google search and dropping into a thread directly to find the answer they are looking for quickly. Again, this has been a feature of this community long before I joined the team in 2016. The only thing that has changed is the green box around the solution to make it more prominent. 

I have been a registered member of these forums since March 2004,  and have seen changes good, bad, ugly, nightmarish, and some quite fantastic.   Regarding the Best Answer box feature being in this community for years. Could you give me a ball park year.  I don't remember it for much more than a year, and not years before your joining in 2016.   I realize that I'm getting on in years, but didn't think that I had lost years remembering changes and features.

I hope this answers your questions. As mentioned in the past, since there is no board for community related questions, feel free to send those to me directly to ensure the quickest response. 

It remains a shame that a board for community related questions was removed.  Will we ever see one again?  It's much preferable to pose a question in an open board.

edited 4/25/18 7:46pm~~ corrected "da Cajun's" name - bj

Bronze Problem Solver

@BlueJay wrote:

@ComcastJessie wrote:

@BlueJay

@BlueJay wrote:

@BlueJay wrote:

I have been a registered member of these forums since March 2004,  and have seen changes good, bad, ugly, nightmarish, and some quite fantastic.   Regarding the Best Answer box feature being in this community for years. Could you give me a ball park year.  I don't remember it for much more than a year, and not years before your joining in 2016.   I realize that I'm getting on in years, but didn't think that I had lost years remembering changes and features.

I've been here since July 2, 2003, around 5:00 a.m. on the second day of this forum's existence.  The best I can find is that the solved/best answer "feature" came into existence in 2013, so it's a pretty new addition.  Admittedly, there are now a lot of missing posts, so it might have been introduced a little earlier.  That's still yesterday to those of us who've been here since the beginning of the forum. 

Problem Solver

Welcome_to_post   said above:

"I've been here since July 2, 2003, around 5:00 a.m. on the second day of this forum's existence.  The best I can find is that the solved/best answer "feature" came into existence in 2013, so it's a pretty new addition.  Admittedly, there are now a lot of missing posts, so it might have been introduced a little earlier.  That's still yesterday to those of us who've been here since the beginning of the forum. "

I do agree with  "solved" being used in posts, with a check mark and a short notation linking to the answer accepted by the original poster.    I honestly do not recall seeing, 5 years ago {?}, the GREEN BOX -BEST ANSWER  box in the post requesting an answer, with a link to post, which has a big green heading. 

Bronze Problem Solver

You're right, BJ, that part is very new. 

Expert

@BlueJay wrote:

"I've been here since July 2, 2003, around 5:00 a.m. on the second day of this forum's existence.  The best I can find is that the solved/best answer "feature" came into existence in 2013, so it's a pretty new addition.  Admittedly, there are now a lot of missing posts, so it might have been introduced a little earlier.  That's still yesterday to those of us who've been here since the beginning of the forum. "

I do agree with  "solved" being used in posts, with a check mark and a short notation linking to the answer accepted by the original poster.    I honestly do not recall seeing, 5 years ago {?}, the GREEN BOX -BEST ANSWER  box in the post requesting an answer, with a link to post, which has a big green heading. 

The Green Box - Best Answer change-over from Solved is less than one year old. It came around the same time as old Avatars were removed, and the merging of old "solved" posts with long running posts which threw off the solved and kudo counts for many members involved in those posts during that time.

Maybe Best Answer is a better choice, but the original poster is not happy if their problem was not solved by Comcast's "Best Answer". There are almost always better ways to actually solve the OP's problem that do not include the Comcast's reply. The main reason the forum was established.

Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@BlueJay wrote:

The Green Box - Best Answer change-over from Solved is less than one year old. It came around the same time as old Avatars were removed, and the merging of old "solved" posts with long running posts which threw off the solved and kudo counts for many members involved in those posts during that time.

Maybe Best Answer is a better choice, but the original poster is not happy if their problem was not solved by Comcast's "Best Answer". There are almost always better ways to actually solve the OP's problem that do not include the Comcast's reply. The main reason the forum was established.

Thank you!!, MNtundraRET and WTP !!    I can rest easy today knowing I'm not losing my mind.     

Many thanks, bj