Community Forum

Access Denied ?

Regular Contributor

Access Denied ?

I got this in an email from the forums. 

Hi anon86290,

alexisjolley (Visitor) posted a new reply in X1 on 01-11-2019 12:28 PM:

domain whitelist

When I click on the "domain whitelist", or the "X1",  I get Access Denied.  What is this about?

Expert

Re: Access Denied ?

@anon86290 wrote:

Hi anon86290,

domain whitelist

When I click on the "domain whitelist", or the "X1",  I get Access Denied.  What is this about?

at the time of the post (and currently) an official employee has not yet edited out the email address in the post. the guidelines state not to put personal information in public posts.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@anon86290 wrote:

Hi anon86290,

domain whitelist

at the time of the post (and currently) an official employee has not yet edited out the email address in the post. the guidelines state not to put personal information in public posts.

Strange. I know not to include personal information.  When I look at what I posted (I keep copies), I don't see my email addy.  All I see is the body of the message I received.

I didn't even post a question.  I got this Community email out of the blue.  The subject was:

"domain whitelist (Xfinity Help and Support Forums Subscription Update)"

Hmmm...

Expert

@anon86290 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@anon86290 wrote:

Hi anon86290,

domain whitelist

Strange. I know not to include personal information.  When I look at what I posted (I keep copies), I don't see my email addy.  All I see is the body of the message I received.

I didn't even post a question.  I got this Community email out of the blue.  The subject was:

Hmmm...

the last line said (edited here but not yet in original post)...

"and I'm having trouble with (acutal address removed)@gmail.com

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@anon86290 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@anon86290 wrote:

Hi anon86290,

domain whitelist

Hmmm...

the last line said (edited here but not yet in original post)...

"and I'm having trouble with (acutal address removed)@gmail.com

That's REALLY odd.  I don't have a gmail account.  Never have, never will.  I'm not a fan of google.  I wonder if that Community Mailer was sent to me by mistake.  It was not in reply to anything I posted.  It just came to me out of the blue.  I clicked on it to see what it was all about, and the rest is history (documented in our forum posts).

The subject was of this Community Mailer was:" domain whitelist (Xfinity Help and Support Forums Subscription Update)"

I'm not going to try to figure this out anymore.  I think it was a mistake.  Don't waste your time, either, there's more important issues to solve.

Thanks.

Official Employee

It wasn’t you that posted it, somebody else replied with the email address. It also had nothing to do with your topic

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
It wasn’t you that posted it, somebody else replied with the email address. It also had nothing to do with your topic

Ok.  Then what was the criteria for sending me the Community Mailer?  I don't understand.  See, I went chasing this thing down,  and it turned out to be a wild goose chase.  It wasn't until you entered the scene that I was told 'it wasn't you'.

Official Employee

If you are involved in a thread, if someone replies, you’ll get an email notification. You can go into your personal forum settings and turn those off if you wish

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
If you are involved in a thread, if someone replies, you’ll get an email notification. You can go into your personal forum settings and turn those off if you wish

If I'm involved?  But don't I have to subscribe, too?  At any rate, how do I find out to which thread the Community Mailer refers?  The subject is not at all familiar to me.

Expert

@anon86290 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@anon86290 wrote:

Hi anon86290,

domain whitelist

Hmmm...

FWIW, it wasn't your post that was removed for personal information.  If you posted in that thread, you would be subscribed for notifications unless you had unchecked it, or you could have subscribed to the thread if you were interested in the replies.  You would have received a notification when a post was removed, which is apparently what has happened.

At any rate, the reason you received the "Access Denied" page is because that post is in a hidden secure board that only Official Employees and Experts can access.

I hope that explains this better for you.

Regular Contributor

@Again wrote:

@anon86290 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@anon86290 wrote:

Hi anon86290,

domain whitelist

Hmmm...

FWIW, it wasn't your post that was removed for personal information.  If you posted in that thread, you would be subscribed for notifications unless you had unchecked it, or you could have subscribed to the thread if you were interested in the replies.  You would have received a notification when a post was removed, which is apparently what has happened.

At any rate, the reason you received the "Access Denied" page is because that post is in a hidden secure board that only Official Employees and Experts can access.

I hope that explains this better for you.

Again,

Earlier in this thread, I was informed that it was not my post that was removed.

I originally thought it was my post that a Visitor had replied to in the X1 forum. That's what the Community Mailer said:
name(Visitor) posted a new reply in X1 on 01-11-2019 12:28 PM: domain whitelist

1) Now I know that wasn't the case. But, I wonder why the Community Mailer sends out notifications that when clicked on, takes one to an Access Denied page. What good is that? If the post is in a hidden secure board that only Official Employees and Experts can access, why send me a notification? It made me wonder what thread I'm either subscribed to, or participated in, yet I have no way of finding this out.

2) Someone in this thread said that I was sent to the Access Denied page because the Visitor's post had been flagged by a moderator as being personal, and still had to be 'cleaned up' before released. Is that your understanding, too? I thought only approved posts are released, and then, and only then, are notifications sent out to subscribers.

3) I checked on my Notification Settings. They are:

a) Notify me when I post, reply, submit a review, or comment: enabled
b) Automatically subscribe me to all topics or reviews I participate in: enabled
All other settings are default

4) Are these assumptions correct?:

Setting a) does not send me a notification if I participate in a thread, unless I have enabled b)
Setting b) is what got the Access Denied Community Mailer sent to me.
"Participate in" includes being the OP (original poster)

Is there any way to find out what thread I "Participated in" that generated the Access Denied notification?

Thanks.

Official Employee

The email you received had the title of the thread, if you click on your name you’ll see a list of the threads that you’ve been involved in. Also, the notification comes when a reply is posted, the post that was removed isn’t removed automatically at the same time, it’s removed by a Forum Moderator or Expert at some point after.