Community Forum

ANSWERED: How to Change Your Xfinity Primary User

As an Xfinity customer, you can access your account information online via My Account.

The type of information that you can access depends on your account user type as well as the settings associated with that particular type of user.

The two types of account users are Primary and Secondary. The Primary user has full administrative access for the Comcast account, and they control how much the Secondary user(s) can see and do.

Differences Between Primary and Secondary Account Users

The Primary user is the account administrator, so they have full access to all of the account's features and settings and can create, delete, suspend or reset passwords for Secondary accounts. Primary users can sign into My Account using their Comcast username and password for full access to their account and billing features and Xfinity Internet settings, if applicable.

The Primary user and authorized user are authorized to sign up for and manage an Xfinity Mobile account, including:
  • Managing account settings
  • Managing and making payments
  • Making new purchases on behalf of the account
  • Setting up data notifications

Secondary accounts can be designated as Unrestricted or Restricted by the Primary user:
  • Unrestricted - Full access to all Xfinity TV, Xfinity Internet, Xfinity Voice and Xfinity Home account features, including the ability to edit/change their username or password, manage email settings, enable/disable Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Home features and more.
    • This does not include the ability to manage an Xfinity Mobile account.
    • Previously, Xfinity Home Customers had a single login. Now, Unrestricted Secondary users can manage Xfinity Home features via their own login.
  • Restricted - Do not have the ability to edit/change their username, manage email settings or enable/disable Xfinity Internet or Xfinity Home features. However, user can edit/change their password and may be granted access by Primary account users to view and pay the bill, if needed.
If you sign in to My Account as a Secondary user, what you are able to see and do will depend on how the Primary user has set the account preferences (Unrestricted or Restricted), as mentioned above.

You can transfer primary user functions to a secondary account. Your old primary account will become a secondary account and will lose the following accessibilities:
  • The ability to create and manage secondary accounts
  • The ability to manage some product features
  • The ability to view and pay bills unless granted permission by the new primary user
  • Access to online voicemail (if you have Xfinity Voice) until the new primary user reinstates your access
  • Ability to manage your Xfinity Mobile account (if you subscribe) as well as make payments and purchases

To change a secondary user to the primary user:

1. Sign in to My Account as the primary user.
  2. Click the Users tab at the top of the page.
    The Users tab can be found under the My Account tab. 
  3. Select the Primary User, then click Transfer admin rights.
    The primary user is listed with options to edit user details or to transfer admin rights. 
  4. Select which user you'd like to transfer admin rights to via the drop-down menu.
    You can select a new user to transfer admin rights to or add a new user. 
  5. Click Save.

Learn more about The Difference Between Primary & Secondary Users

Learn more about How to Change Your Primary User

Version history
Revision #:
3 of 3
Last update:
‎04-15-2019 06:31 PM
Updated by:

Labels (1)
Contributors