Community Forum

why would xfinity arris tg1682g wifi be on when module was manually disabled with no security?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

why would xfinity arris tg1682g wifi be on when module was manually disabled with no security?

Came home few days ago early Friday evening, I always disable the wifi module on my Arris TG1682G Modem/Router.  When I returned my previous secure? WPA2 2.4g - 5g were flashing, and OPEN.  I had to yet again HARD RESET third time last week.  Week of December 11 -15 (weekdays).  As always took 3 -4 hours of my time upsets my elderly parent who is angry already. 

I looked into the tap box which is open at this apt complex and looks like another apt may have swapped my tag # apt number removes the MOCA filter (Seeing my Xfi info even with parental controls set) or how else is this happening?  They are between 4 apt's utilizing my modem spoofing, and phone service.  I saw on tag in the box for an apt #7 written in pen ink, not the way Comcast lables.  These Neighbors have at least 12 people between 4 apt's here and not paying, the man that owns the building is doing this as well and he has service but is to incapable of understanding that he doesnt need to be stealing from me 6 years here now on-going, never ends 7 modem swaps, in last 2 months 3 cable boxes, now I am stuck on a MOTO DVR? clicks with a X1 cloud downstairs, all wired backward STILL.  Each time we get a tech here they send CONTRACTOR usually have no idea and waste my time, I need a COMcast in house line tech here Pronto.  I pay upwards of $220 monthly and I never and I mean NEVER get to  watch TV or use internet like I should.  My advertized Internet speed NOT even close.  SECURITY IS MY UTMOST CONCERN

Sj
Frequent Visitor

Re: why would xfinity arris tg1682g wifi be on when module was manually disabled with no security?

I have the same modem as you. I noticed about 2 weeks ago my tablet pages were dropping, I looked up at the right corner and I call it a fan kidda looks like a old fashioned Ladies Fan the signal was all the way at the bottom and had a exclamation point in the middle, pulled down the WiFi icon and it was on the free Xfinity wifi without a lock! That's never happened before and it's funny how I also live in a apartment. I'm also getting ticked because I'm not getting any emails just from the community and I checked and my ports are wrong? I tried to correct this but it wouldn't let me. It's possible because I was using ATT 4G I don't know how to use the data and still have Comcast recognize the device? I may as well uninstall the WiFi app the only reason I reinstalled is because I still have DirecTV and my remote was saying it wasn't connected on wifi but TV says different I think it's just a way for Xfinity to monitor the devices your using?

I don't want anymore community form email! I don't have time to delete thousands until I can figure out how to only get the ones I looked at
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Re: why would xfinity arris tg1682g wifi be on when module was manually disabled with no security?

I would highly suggest buying your own cable modem and router to prevent unauthorized access to your internet.  As to the whole TAP box being open and unsecured the CC office should send a tech out to secure the box.  If they don't then ask loss prevention to come out and audit the box and secure it.