Community Forum

why is my downstream so high and out of range?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

why is my downstream so high and out of range?

Netgear tells me this is why my modem failed and it is the ISP fault/settings... how can I adjust this on a CM400? been on the phone 1.5 hours and they just hung up on me after putting me with "their supervisor" which was dead air.Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.18.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.18.34 PM.png

Expert

Re: why is my downstream so high and out of range?

Your pictures appear to be broken. Do you have any amplifiers?
I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I will try again with the pictures..

Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.18.25 PM.pngaScreen Shot 2018-08-01 at 10.18.34 PM.pngb

New Poster

I don't think I have amplifiers? are these like the ones I just googled that look like splitters with a bigger box? I have it going from the wall to the modem directly

Diamond Problem Solver

It's on the high side but not grossly high. Are you actually having any connectivity problems or just focusing on the numbers ?

New Poster

My modem was having issues(according to a comcast tech).  The issue was something that was messing up both my modem and router at the same time.  They would both become locked up(inaccessable through ethernet and wireless and disconnected from the internet) and the only way to get the internet back was through hard reset of both.  If I reset one or the other it wouldn't come back up.  The weird thing was how it would make the admin/password at 192.168.100.1(modem) not work or tell me I did not have access, and the wireless passcode(router) would tell me it was wrong, when I know it was not and attempted several times.

this happened 1-2 times a day

I just received my replacement modem today and the power levels started around 9 and are now back around 11 -- which according to netgear made the first one fail. If this even was my issue, I am still not convinced, but no problems so far......fingers crossed.

Diamond Problem Solver

@JJK2313 wrote:

I just received my replacement modem today and the power levels started around 9 and are now back around 11 -- which according to netgear made the first one fail. If this even was my issue, I am still not convinced, but no problems so far......fingers crossed.

No way... That's nowhere near high enough to make a modem's front end receiver overheat and "fail" hardware wise....

New Poster

I didn't think so, probably just made terrible.  Unfortunately all I hear about anymore with netgear is how their stuff has choppy signals or failing.  I need to move away from modem>router and get a combo anyway ,so maybe I will do that if it fails again