Community Forum

what is a dcp3941

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

what is a dcp3941

What does this dcp3941 do?  Thought it was for cable but shows up on my network and has internet accessability.

Regular Contributor

Re: what is a dcp3941

The DCP3941T is your internet gateway and phone modem. It is a modem ,router and wifi access point all rolled up in 1 device. There are 4 ethernet ports and 2 phone jacks in the back so you can plug in a pc/laptop with an ethernet cord and 2 phone jacks to plug in a phone.

New Poster

I have both a DCP3941 and a E1000 in a single bed condo. Do I need both?

I have a one bedroom condo and have both the DCP3941 and E1000 that are about 5 feet away from each other.  Thought the DCP was a second cable box for my bedroom but it has Internet access.  When I try to diable the Internet access it says it can't.   It also says I have a home network when one wasn't set up and its connected by eithernet when I only use wireless.  Something doesn't sound right here.  Would someone help me out  please, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

New Poster

Thanks, please forgive my lack of technical knowlegde.  I have an E1000 modem, that has the same features you just spoke about in your reply.  Are these one in the same machine or are they seperate pieces of equipment?  The reason I ask is that I can only find the E1000 in my Condo and can't find the DCP.  It says I have a network connected by ethernet but never set one up I have a laptop and use wireless only.  Is someone stealing my Wifi or hacking me?

Regular Contributor

The E1000 you refer to sounds like a Linksys wifi Router. e1000.jpge1000back.jpg

If this is what you have it is probably connected to the DPC3941T. Hence why it would show up as a connected network.

Regular Contributor

Re: I have both a DCP3941 and a E1000 in a single bed condo. Do I need both?

If the E1000 is 5 feet away then you really dont need it. Just use the wifi coming from the DPC3941T. Assuming you havent changed the default values, you can find the SSID (wireless network name) and the network key on the bottom of the base of the DPC3941T.

Expert

FWIW, if you are hanging a stand-alone / separate router off of the gateway device, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls.

You really should put it in to bridge mode. Here's how;

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Network Settings say I have a DPC3941 but I only have a E1000

I'm confused, my computer network says that I have a DPC3941 but I only have a E1000.  My gateway says that I am connected by ethernet too.  I only use wireless with my laptop and wireless printer.  Can someone please let me know what is going on here.  I swear I'm being hacked or spyed on.

Expert

Re: Network Settings say I have a DPC3941 but I only have a E1000

Well, which one is it? Do you have one of them or both. Here at http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/what-is-a-dcp3941/m-p/3041137#M272932 you claim you have both.  You're starting to really confuse me here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Network Settings say I have a DPC3941 but I only have a E1000

i only have the E1000. That is why im confused.  Gateway says I have home network my computer says I don't.  Gateway also says that I'm contected via ethernet when I only use a laptop and wireless printer.  Why would my computer show it if I don't actually have one and why would gateway say I have a home network when I dont and its connected via ethernet.