Community Forum

vonage help

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

vonage help

I am trying to connect the motorola modem from vonage so I can use the phone.  The first modem they sent me was the wrong modem, I could make calls but not receive calls.  Their help desk tested it as well.  I received the new modem and this darn thing won't register with the cable provider.  I can not call the cable provider for help, as the modem won't connect.  My cell phone service in this area totally stinks, the only way to get it to work is to stand in the front yard.  I can call Comcast for help with my computer while I am standing in the front yard, but then my darn computer is in the house so that won't work.  AAAHH  I have tried the online help to no avail.  Can anyone please help me?  Thank you so much for any assistance!
Most Valued Poster

Re: vonage help

If the modem is not registering with Comcast, you need to call them.  You'll need the modem's MAC address.  Also have handy the brand and model number just in case.

To simplify things, I suggest connecting the computer directly to the modem via ethernet cable.  If you are using a router and/or wireless connection you can hook them up later. 

You may want to have a friend or two come over so that one of you can sit at the computer while the other is on the phone outside. Smiley Happy

Good luck!
Frequent Visitor

Vonage does not supply cable modems, they supply router/adapters. Attach the ethernet cable from the Comcast modem to the Internet port on the router. Attach your phone line to port 1 on the adapter. Attach an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports of the router to your computer. Turn everything off. Turn on cable modem and let it synch. Turn on router and let it synch. Then turn on computer. You don't need to register a routers address with Comcast, just your cable modem.
Most Valued Poster

OP probably has the Motorola VT2442 adaptor/router........it looks a lot like their modems Smiley Wink

Message Edited by BluegrassMan on 08-05-2006 11:52 AM

Firefox 3