Community Forum

update your browser

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

update your browser

How can I make the page that comes up and says that you can upgrade your browser go away? Every time I log on it pops up and I have to hit the thing at the bottom that says "don't want to upgrade, take me to comcast." I tried to upgrade but it says that it cannot do it, apparently I do not have the right operating system to do the upgrade. Any help would be appreciated, if I can't upgrade I do not wish to have to go through this every time I log on. Thanks. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: update your browser

What browser are you using?

New Poster

I have a Mac so I am using Safari.

Silver Problem Solver

You need to be using a sufficiently updated Safari. The page says at least Safari 4. You can get Safari 4.1.2 for Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4) at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1070

Which operating system do you have? There are other Mac web browsers. I encourage people to have at least Firefox.

Comcast is very agressive at sniffing which browser you are using. I like to use OmniWeb. It sometimes has problems in this forum, but I live with them because I like the browser. I get that "update your browser" message every time I quit the forum.

One way around the update message up front might be to bookmark where you want to go and avoiding the Comcast main page.

Valued Contributor

An aggressive response would be to go to Preferences under Safari and then to advanced.  Select the bottom  button, Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar.  Then before going to Comcast, select User Agent under Develop and choose Internet Explorer 8.0.  Perhaps that will confuse Comcast.

Actually, I often use Firefox as it seems to keep Comcast software quiescent.

sam

Silver Problem Solver

As Weil suggested, you might be able to make it go away by pretending to be a different browser. I prefer to keep getting the messages becasue at least then I am presenting as being a browser they don't support.

If I pretend, they say "but we never see that browser".

In any case, Comcast won't budge. I've complained higher up. You need to decide how much it bothers you.