Community Forum

slow internet speed

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

slow internet speed

I used to have xfinity triple play then downgraded to just internet, a 400mbps package. Ended up that it was offered in my area yet even though they sold it to me, my internet wouldnt work. After talking to a tech, he informed me the package wasn't for this area yet which is why it wouldnt work. Told a service rep this, they downgraded me to the 300mbps down package, then I finally had internet again after a few days. The speed will be 250-300 for weeks on end, then one week itlll be under 70mbps. I'm getting pretty annoyed with this. Every time I talk to a rep, they do a modem reset and nothing ever changes. They'll send a tech out and nothing will be wrong, as normal. 

I'm currently using a Netgear CM500 router that does up to 640mbps down and even says for blast/extreme comcast usage. For a router I have a Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800. I have CAT6 ran to my garage to a Netgear switch that my PC is connected to. The internet speed is the same when this problem happens, wired or wireless. 

How can I help get this resolved?

New Poster

Re: slow internet speed

Expert

The first step to troubleshooting is to figure out if you have a home network issue or modem/signal issue. To do this you'll want to connect directly to the modem via ethernet. If you are still experiencing issues, you can focus on the modem and/or signal issues. If your speed issues resolve while directly connected to the modem you can then focus on router/adapters/switches. 

I am not an employee.
Official Employee

Hi, bretthiltz - I received your private message. Please do not send messages to moderators without a request in the future, it's a violation of Forums Policy and Guidelines. I can check your modem and see if there are any issues with the provisioning. Please send me a private message and include your full name, the account holder's name as it listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Thank you! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!