Community Forum

router problems/dns error

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

router problems/dns error

Hello everyone.

I have a slight problem which I cannot fix on my own.
I have the performance HSI package only and my computer was the only thing connected to the modem. Finally settled in to the new home. I began to set up my router so I can connect my PS3/xbox360 to play games on. Well, I did the usually cycle down the modem and have the router and consoles ready to power up. I power the modem up first til the lights blink green, then power the router til i see solid lights on my Netgear gs608 8-port. My computer has internet connection, speed is up to 20-25mbps with uploads from 2.4-4mbps but the ps3 does not connect. I tried the wired connection through easy setup and manual setup and still no go. MY ps3 is not able to obtain an IP address. 

I tried a few power cycles and somehow my ps3 was getting internet connection but then my PC did not. Lol? I then did ANOTHER LONG power cycle, my PC got the connection back and my ps3 again is still a sitting duck. I have no clue on what to do. 

I also have a smaller netgear gs105 5-port which produces the same problem. 

SIDE NOTE: I have a second HSI with xfinity (blast) Upstairs (because my room is further away and i'm selfish ) and it was installed just 3 days ago and it works flawlessly, Modem to wireless router(for 3 other people who uses laptops). Their connection is solid and so far no problems staying connected. This connection is in my younger brothers room who plays on his ps3 constantly everyday with no problem. My other brother also said he hasn't had any connectivity issues. 

I've googled and search and search for information on dsn fixtures but non applies to what I have. Please help or give me idears. I'm unsure if I need to buy another router/switch.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: router problems/dns error

Sounds like you don't have a router between the modem and Netgear switches.  Without a router, you can only connect one device and get one IP address from Comcast to the modem even with a switch.

Those Netgear units are switches only and not a router.

New Poster

Oh, I never knew there was a difference in the two. 

I guess i'll have to buy a 'router' lol

New Poster

okay, my problem is resolved. 

I found an old D-Link router and my ps3 is able to connect right away.

THANKS! 

Diamond Problem Solver

Just as long as the old router is "too old".   Old routers limit the full speed of Comcast's recent higher speeds.  Check it both ways and if you see slower speeds though the router, it would be time for a current model.