Community Forum

"Guest" Mail

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Horrible loading and relogging in to access my email

I cannot stand one more day of this.I go to pick up my new email, I login fine, but THEN as soon as I open my first new email going back I am no longer logged in and appear as d

GUEST...........so I have to relogin for every email back and forth this is driving me nuts and I may get another email server and name Its completely ridiculous

Anyone got a fix for this ultra time consuming totally annoying feature?

Regular Contributor

When Will "Hello, Guest" Be Fixed in Comcast E-mail?

Can Comcast, please, answer this--At lease, give All Comcast Customers an estimated date of fixing this Bug, please?

Ironically, in case some CC Customers' CC E-mail, actually does happen to work in some ways and/or those some ways part of the time--my suggestion is:  Comcast/Xfinity simply E-mail Customers that this is a known issue, include an apology, and provide an estimated date that this serious Bug will be fixed.

However--please, at least, give us a date of this "Hello, Guest" BUG of when it will be fixed,--at least on this Forum (and/or any and all additional Comcast Customer Forums where Customers have posted about this very issue for 6 months and even longer.  This would be very helpful, so that Customers can make "workaround" types of arrangements.

Regular Visitor

Email

Email keeps calling me a guest even though I am correctly labeled on home page.

Frequent Visitor

Can't access email

I can log into my xfinity account and it shows "Hi, Bill" in the top right corner. When I click on the email icon I'm sent to a new page https://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail#1 and am no longer in my account. It says "Hello, Guest" in the top right corner and of course none of my emails.

Ideas?

Administrator

Re: Hello, Guest

GeorgiaPat, 

I apologize this has been creating such an issue for you. Know that we are doing as much as possible to get this known issue resolved. To hopefully reduce frustrations I will try to provide as much detail as I have on this issue, as I unfortunately do not work for our email team. This issue has been caused by some sort of coding/scripting issue that is preventing the name of the person that an email box belongs to to properly display when logged into the Xfinity.com email page. Since the code is preventing names to display properly it is reverting back to the default setting and using "Guest" instead. This is by no means a "simple" issue that can easily/quickly be fixed. There are many, many, many lines of code that must be gone through and scrutinized to ensure our engineers can accurately identify and fix this issue.

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of security breech it just means that the coding is preventing 2 different systems from talking to each other. A security breach by definition would mean that there is an incident that results in unauthorized access of data, applications, services, networks and/or devices by bypassing their underlying security mechanisms. This issue would not fall into that category, because by default the system is even more secure and is displaying "Guest" instead of your personal information. As I mentioned before, since I do not work for the email team I cannot say when this will be fixed and unfortunately cannot ensure its resolution by 10 AM today. However there is good news, this issue is not at all affecting the functionality of the email system or preventing the sending and receiving of email messages.

As a temporary resolution to this issue you can set up an email forwarding so all your emails go to another email box (yahoo.com. gmail.com, etc) until we get this resolved. I, again, apologize for the frustration this has caused and assure you the right team is working to get this issue resolved. I will happily provide any updates here as they come to me. Thank you for your patience as we work to get this issue resolved. 

Also, just to clarify the XfinityWiFi hotspot has absolutely nothing to do with this "Hello_Guest" issue. Those two features have nothing to do with each other and changing one will never affect the other. 

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Re: Account Cancelled?

Mine says "hello guest"

Frequent Visitor

Jessie, how can it be a SIMPLE coding issue that nobody has been able to resolve in several months?  If it's simple, I'd expect it to be resolved tomorrow morning by 10 a.m.   I'm very security conscious, and just don't trust it.  Unfortunately, "Guest" or not, I am paying $184 a month to Comcast. 

Administrator

As mentioned before the "Hello_Guest" issue is one that is known by Comcast and is something that our webmail engineers are actively working to resolve. This is in NO WAY a security breach, this is simply a scripting/coding issue, nothing further. This issue also has nothing to do with anything related to WiFi or the security features there. This is the official response and we will be providing additional updates as they come in. Again, as of right now this is a known issue we are actively working to resolve. 

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

Sadly, I agree that it *IS* a security breach.  I disagree with you and your thinking that Comcast doesn't know though... at a sufficiently high level I am confident that someone knows a whole lot more than is being passed down to the rank-and-file support troops and a policy (that word is kind of close to political, isn't it?) decision has been made-- to stonewall, minimize, and distract concerned customers away from the true situation. 

Frequent Visitor

I have struggled with this issue for at least two months, have called Comcast numerous times, and had a technician come last week.  It is clear that Comcast does not know what has happened or how to fix it. One customer service rep explained to me that it doesn't mean anything - "Guest" is just a name.  I said, "but, it's not MY name!."  

I changed my password again this week, and it still reverts to "Hello Guest."  At the same time, the page loads very slowly.  I consider it a security breach. Since I am paying for the service, I hate to have to abandon Comcast email, where I have all my folders and contact information.  Until this is resolved, I'll have to use another email account.  If anyone at Comcast reads these messages, please take this seriously. It worries me that after several months, no solution has been offered. 

Regular Contributor

Re: What is Email "Hello, Guest" Reason?

edron wrote:

I posted a reply but my reply seemed to go into 'nowhere.'

Would you be able to answer the second and third parts of my post question?

Also, why couldn't the Comcast Engineers (writing the code), just do a global search throughout all the lines of code and everytime the search landed on "Guest"--simply erase the word "Guest"--possibly, substitute the word "Guest", temporarily, with some very noticible characters string--until they figure out how to do a relational database search for all the real names that actually belong in the field (the indexed field) "Guest?"---At least, just as a beginning, repair?

Logically, "Guest" must appear in lots of places among all the coding--otherwise, "Guest" would never show up, accidentally and erroneous.  Right?  Logically, I mean.

Log ins have been integrated between my account and email.  Kinda one log in for all.  Those log ins time out.  Hence, until you put your password in again, it says hello guest.  I personally have never had a problem with this.  Time outs happen on all my accounts (Amazon maybe every two weeks).  Smiley Wink

As to the hot spot issue, I have owned my own modems since 2007 or 2008.  I am not tech savvy enough with their equipment to know how bandwidth is spread.  Hello Guest has nothing to do with the hotspot, and has everything to do with time out (if you have more than one Comcast email account, signing in and out will show you more).  There is a security layer between the hotspot and your own log ins.  I believe no one (since I have used my client's wifi hotspot), can even get to your side of the modem.

|----------------------------------------------------|
I am a simple customer, my posts are my own experiences and opinions.
Current Starter Double Play Customer with Blast Pro Upgrade.
New Poster

email sign in

My acccount says welcome John, but when I click on the email icon I am changed to "guest".  What is going on?  Who is the guest about which it speaks?  I don't like the system changing like that becasue of the appearance of a security breach.  Please explain, and tell me when it will be resolved.  Thank you.

Bronze Problem Solver

Sorry, my answer should have been a little more complete.  If it were functioning as I understand it should, you shouldn't ever see the "hello guest" greeting.  I download my email via an email client, so I almost never see Comcast's webmail, so I'm certainly no expert with it. 

Can't speak to the code.  I've done very limted coding back in the day, mostly with Basic and Fortran (argh!), so I know it can get pretty complex.  Enough to know that if a solution seems simple, you're probably on the wrong track.  Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I posted a reply but my reply seemed to go into 'nowhere.'

Would you be able to answer the second and third parts of my post question?

Also, why couldn't the Comcast Engineers (writing the code), just do a global search throughout all the lines of code and everytime the search landed on "Guest"--simply erase the word "Guest"--possibly, substitute the word "Guest", temporarily, with some very noticible characters string--until they figure out how to do a relational database search for all the real names that actually belong in the field (the indexed field) "Guest?"---At least, just as a beginning, repair?

Logically, "Guest" must appear in lots of places among all the coding--otherwise, "Guest" would never show up, accidentally and erroneous.  Right?  Logically, I mean.

Bronze Problem Solver

It isn't supposed to do that.  It's a known issue, though, and is being worked on. 

Regular Contributor

What is Email "Hello, Guest" Reason?

My Comcast Home Page logon has my name correct "Hello, Correct Logon Name"--However, when accessing my email, this is "Hello, Guest."  This has happened before--on and off; however, this has continued every second of every day for months and months and months.  When is this going to be corrected?

Also, is there a time and/or reason when "Hello, Guest" would, actually, be appropriate?   For instance, without getting customers' permissions, Comcast began providing customers personal property (computers) and customers paid internet service (customers pay for the service, electricity, etc.), yet they have become a "Comcast Hotspot."

If a hotspot is being used--would logon be "Hello Guest"  Also, who exactly would be the "Guest" ??

Could someone who knows all of the answers, for sure (100 % accurate for sure), please, explain all of this.  Please.  This has been very confusing and largely without real explanation.  Also, is this a security risk?

New Poster

Still e-mail "guest"

It is now May and my e-mail still shows me as a guest and won't remember my password? HELP!

Will this ever be fixed?

Regular Contributor

"HELLO, GUEST" (Bug) WANT ANSWER!!!

This "Hello, Guest" bug on our e-mail page(s) has gone on and on for months and months (actually happening for YEARS--on and off).  This period of time of this typical, usual Comcast coding BUG has gone on steadily for many, many months.  Countless Forum Members (and Forum visitors--not wanting to be members) have posted about this "Hello, Guest" problem countless times, consistently.

There has NOT been one, single reliable or cogent answer from Comcast Employees about when this problem is going to be fixed AND/OR- even if Comcast Employees are acknowledging the problem AND/OR are going to do ANYTHING, whatsoever, to make sure that it is being fixed AND/OR ever AND/OR--IF SO-----WHEN????

The problems that are inherent  (as well as ancillary) to this bug fiasco are numerous.  I will not take all the space and time to list ALL the obvious screaming-in-your-face problems this causes to customers.

Could a Comcast Employee deign to provide us, Customers, with a real answer?

<Edited for violating forum guidelines: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379>

Comcast Employees, only--please.  We deserve an official, reliable Comcast Company reply.  (Not a reply from a Forum Member Volunteer).

Tags (2)
New Poster

Re: "hello guest" on email screen even though I am logged in.....

Here it is May 9 and they still lack the ability to fix this. Well done.
Problem Solver

Re: "Hi Guest" at login

the people who deploy the web site and/or that part of the web site apparently feel fixing that issue is not a priority,  . . .  fixing the issue is on the to-do list and they'll get to it, eventually, maybe.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

"Hi Guest" at login

Anybody know why, when I login, I see "Hi Guest" instead of my name up in the right hand login area?

Diamond Problem Solver

The hotspot has nothing to do with that.
Regular Visitor

So, to further clarify, if we disable the home wifi hotspot we will no longer see the "Welcome, Guest" on our email page header?

Administrator

mariconde,

Just to clarify the wifi hotspot is a convenience that we offer to customers so that if they are away from home they still have the ability to take advantage of free wifi service. This wifi service is done in conjunction with the private wifi service that is secured within your home. It does not syphon signal or bandwidth from the private service and is completely controllable by our customers. If you choose not to broadcast that wifi hotspot you can turn it off by following the directions outlined here: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot/

Additionally, you can opt out of the entire hotspot concern by purchasing your own modem. Since the devices in question are being provided by Comcast as of now Comcast reserves the right to provide this additional service to their customers via our devices. If you would like to find a compatible device for your level of service see here: http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

I hope this addresses your concerns. If you need anything else please let us know. 

Jguy1,

This is a known issue that has been addressed with the Xfinity.net team. As of now I do know they are working towards a resolution, but have yet to hear of an ETA. You are not alone with this issue and know that the team will be actively trying to get this resolved. I hope this helps and provides you with more information. If you need anything else please let us know.

New Poster

My Xfinity Home page shows I'm signed in (Hello, Dennis).  When I log onto my E-Mail or click on the Mail icon, the mail page comes up, and it shows I'm a guest (Hello, Guest).  Also I know my user name and password for admin. but when I click on user and preferences it will not take me to this page as before to make to make changes.

Visitor

email

My email keeps entering me as The Guest. I have no access to my email.

Regular Visitor

Thanks to Carol, that this is a Comcast glitch.! I thought someone was siphoning off my service. Comcast has another broadband signal that's unsecured they use this to power their Public Wi-Fi Hotspots and it's within everybody's Comcast rented router. Aa class-action lawsuit filed in San Francisco about a year and a half ago By Toyer Grear and Jocelyn Harris was stayed and referred to arbitration by federal judge Jeffrey white.
The complaint charges that when they sign their Comcast service agreement they did not consent to permitting the use of their rented wireless router to broadcast additional hotspots to the public.
Frequent Visitor

Comcast Email Page is Displaying Hello Guest instead of Hello User Name

When I sign onto Comcast Net, the page displays Hello (myuser name).  When I access the Email icon, the display is Hello Guest.  The email is my inbox, so the only thing that is not right is the display name.  I have reported this to Comcast technical support a while back; but it's still not fixed.  Is there a resolution available?

New Poster

Re: The "Guest" email issue is almost a month old, any fix?

i am not receiving any emails and i am "guest" when i click the email icon.

i worked with comcast chat and they cannot do anything.  they say it is a technical issue.

what is going on??????

New Poster

Guest designation, fraud, and hacking incidents

I have repeatedly asked that the Guest user be removed from my account.  I did not put it there.  It goes there when I open my mail.  Somebody hacked my HRBlock download.  When are they going to address this???  

Regular Visitor

I thought at first it was just recent, but digging deeper in the forums I see it is over a YEAR old.  This is crazy.  I understand some of the complexities involved, but this goes way beyond complex and if you are the tiniest bit paranoid, if you watch shows like CSI:Cyber and Scorpion, if you read some of the Kidd series by author John Sandford... well... how many more years until 1984?  Oh wait, we're well past that, but I do suspect that Big Brother may possibly be playing a part in there.  It would *not* surprise me.

Contributor

Re: Sign in as ME all I get is "guest"

I am haveing the same problems with my name shows up as guest. How do you correct this.

Frequent Visitor

Sign in as ME all I get is "guest"

Most times I go to my home page (which is http://my.xfinity.com/?myxfn=true&cid=hero_newHP) It says "welcome and my name" but when I try to go to email it says "welcome guest" and I can't download my email, the email icon goes dark! This is the first time this has happened.  I can't get emails I know were sent to me.  I even try the "sign-in" button when it appears, which is rarely, I sign in it takes my id and password (at least it doesn't say it isn't good) but when I try to go to email it sends me back to "welcome guest" HELP!!!

New Poster

me too- I am logged in but see hello guest.

Regular Visitor

THIS ITEM HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED!

I accidently hit the "SOLVED" button and have no idea how to undo it.  This subject is not solved as of this date.

Jguy1

Regular Visitor

Apparently Comcast knows about this.  I have not had any fallout from it. I recently had a problem with my voice logs online.  It took Comcast weeks to solve the problem and I was told they had go to a third party contractor to fix it.  I am still having a problem - I can no longer block calls and cannot delete any that are already on my block list. Who knows how long it will take for them to fix the "Hello, Guest" issue.

Regular Visitor

"hello guest" on email screen even though I am logged in.....

I was also just hacked somehow and people in my contact list got bad emails from me. What happened? How can I fix this? And is there a problem that the main screen says my name "hello ____" but the email screen says "hello guest". What's going on???? Please help!!!"

Regular Visitor

Thanks.

New Poster

Searching this forum, it appears this problem has been occurring since the beginning of the month.  I just noticed it today, but not sure how long it has been occurring for me.

Not using an email client.  Using Chrome Version 49.0.2623.87 m with Windows 8.1.

Gold Problem Solver

Cthis is a glitch in the system that Comcast is aware if and working on the tux.  With me, I have noticed it starts showing Guest, then a few minutes later it switches to Carole

Carole

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Visitor

Hello, Guest

THIS ITEM HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED.  I accidently hit the "solved" button and cannot undo it.

When I log into my email the name the appears on top says "Hello, Guest" instead of Hello, (my name). This also happens when I go into voice mail. However, when I go into my account it is correct.

New Poster

The "Guest" email issue is almost a month old, any fix?

I am still having the "Guest" problem and my emails look like they are sent but people are not receiving them? Could the problems be related?

Regular Visitor

email reverts to guest

Each time I log in to Xfinity with my username and password it appears that I am logged in under my name, as you would expect, but when I click on the email icon it reverts to another account.  Specifically, it says "Hello Guest" and the inbox is that of my husband's account, which has a separate usermane and password that was NOT entered.  I have tried different browsers and still get the same result.

New Poster

email

At least a few weeks ago, I noticed that we logged in, but when we went to email we were guests. As a result some of my emails are not being received. What's comcast doing about this problem?

Regular Visitor

Sign In to Email

After sign in, email defaults to Welcome Guest and mail doesn't come through until I sign in again.

Expert

Re: "Guest" Mail

This thread has gone way off topic so I'm closing it.

Frequent Visitor

That is not how I verify linked accounts and numbers. I look for IPs linked and call history. For call history I use  a reverse number service. This sevice has ratings and reports on any number any where. Its free. to use and not malware. Do some searching to find it.Go to us.gov for more.  Also I use a program that shows

active links , listening links and history- date and time. The only IPs you should see are the ones from your own devices.

I dont think it is permitted to give you web information to help you get to the root of this issue ! Becuse it is not supported by xfinity security.

it is a different program recommended by a chain box store repair and maintainence service.. You can find the IPs assigned to you in your control panel

and you can find active processes, secuity risks and so on that were blocked in your security manager from xfinity for free. You can follow reoccurring blocks

and intrusion attempts.  That was my first step to locate original attack attempts from  IPs back in october.2015. you do not need to know code if your

security program does it for you right? You only need to keep a close watch on the browser to check for false IP, switching engines and false ID notices as you search..

Hand write in black ink what you see if something looks wrong, with date and time, sign it.Keep a logical journal or copy the files from my voice files xfinity.  . Then take a photo from a camera not linked to the web or your computer.Also you can find any linked numbers to any account you have by looking in the user information for those accounts. Win !o , 365 office and google , msn , xfinity and so forth also has a wealth of information to assist in what is attached with validated certificates and what is the IP addresses for my stuff. Warning do this first. Remove all thrid party applications and cookies from your user accounts. It wont affect your performance but it might fix a few things. Then sign out. Close and sign back in. The privacy leaches should be wiped.from your old files. Never accept third party cookies I dont care if your mother offers them to you, deny them. ! Use app adblock plus for free from the google store. kills ads and spyware on contact. With these steps you can better your knowledge of your personal safety and risk records. Dont freak if you see high risk from your security manager .it has already been fixed for you. Go see who, where, what is was in the monthly reports manager.Write this info in your journal if it matches other IPs already documented by you or if it is a new offender.

Frequent Visitor

I tried that yesterday. It showed up public network not private. I had it set private through comcast tech support. I had to go back.

I am asking myself now am I a deliberate hotspot for xfinity? Is someone playing cat & mouse with me? Or I am closest to the

street line than anyone else so I am falsely marked secure when I am really open with the 5.0 link?. I asked my neigbors this morning if their signin showed guest.

The reply "no, that has never happened." So I cant tell any of you how exhasting it is to find 

how people got into all of my old accounts. How sickening it is to have to fight to open new secured accounts.

So I think about what do they want if I am stalked? What is the highest risk demographics in the USA? What Co online did I get spoof from?

It always goes back to the information I already discovered. I know who actual names falsely representing a global co.  when and where. I know why. But what I dont get is why Richmond Co sherrifis dept refuses to take a report

of evidence from me? In fact they were rude, down right uncivil with me. They dont have to take reports they said. I had a stack of evidence . I was told my evidence was not their issue or duty to document. What do you think ? Why wont the FBI assist? No one responds to my reports. To me it is a civil rights issue at this point. Why am I treated differently than every one else ? Why are laws not in enforced in my situation? Xfinity is my only opt.for sevices but it would'nt matter they can stalk me anywere I go. I liked xfinity before all of this happened. . The stalkers have my SSI ,address and so on. Thats why I spend my days recording the mistakes they make to help me track and recover my security.  I will never give up defending myself untill they are both  in cuffs with their accomplises  behind bars begging for their freedom. Thats what they are taking from me right? My freedom?.My right to protection, lawful recourse and personal idenity? I would love to make an announcement of who on what server, ie but that enity is powerful and nothing would happen to them, however they would sue me for liable since every law enforcement agency refuses my evidence. I cant raise awareness with out becoming liable even though the people that did this were not legaly employeed with that co.That company just wants this buried even if it means nothing gets done to stop those people and assist me. . It is not xfinity in any way shape or form that caused this problem.

So I cant whistle blow for you unless I want more suffering by the acts these people...... So no, I cant make my desktop private with current connection applications provided by desktop or xfinity.

Regular Visitor

TO NETMINDERONE:

Where do I find "call manager" to see if there is another phone number under my number?

Regular Visitor

I think you should tell them to bridge your wireless and go strictly landline - which means COMCAST will not be able to use your location as a public hotspot either.