Community Forum

problem with xb6 ethernet connecting to anything other than a computer or laptop

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert

Re: problem with xb6 ethernet connecting to anything other than a computer or laptop

@agent1025 wrote:

Doesnt matter if its through the switch or directly out the back of the modem.   

Well, had you told us this detail from the beginning, I would've known to eliminate the switch as the potential problem. 

As it stands, hook up all the devices you need to through the switch, then go through the gateway's admin tool (10.0.0.1) and see if the affected devices show on the connected devices list and if they're being assigned IP addresses. Since you have an XBox One, go through Settings | Network and see what errors you get. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Regular Visitor

Re: problem with xb6 ethernet connecting to anything other than a computer or laptop

Or modem goblins

Regular Visitor

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS605NA)

Doesnt matter if its through the switch or directly out the back of the modem. Only computers work. I blame ghosts.  

Expert

It would really help if you would tell us what model switch you're using, if you're not willing to swap it for a different one to troubleshoot the issue.

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Regular Visitor

Everything is the same as i had on my xb3. Only thing different is the ethernet switch and xb6. I can get connected via ethernet ONLY with computers.  No other devices will connect via ethernet. Tried with 2 separate xbox ones, a router, a camera, and a tv.  Once again, i can connect via ethernet to a computer or laptop but with the same cable i am unable to get a connection with other devices

Regular Visitor

I am getting connected via ethernet BUT only with computers.  No other devices are connecting via ethernet 

Regular Visitor

I haven’t done anything to the xb6 and i use it for wifi. Aside from computers i still cant get a connection to the modem via ethernet

Expert

I have a Netgear GS308 8 port Gigabit switch and a TrendNet 5 port Gigabit siwtch and they both work just fine with both the XB6 units I've used. 

A few things:

1. Make sure your switch is Gigabit (1000 Mbps) capable and not Fast Ethernet, which is 10/100 Mbps. If it's Fast Ethernet only, make sure it supports Auto Sensing MDI-X, otherwise you'll have to get a crossover cable to hook up to your XB6. 

2. Make sure the Etnernet cable is CAT 5E or better. If so, swap out the Ethernet cable from the gateway to the switch, or connect a device directly to the gateway using the same cable, to elminate the cable as the source of the problem. 

3. Use a different switch. 

New Poster

I'm having the same issue and was wondering if anyone came across a confirmed fix?

Expert

@agent1025,

Some switches require that you hook the ethernet cable from the XB6 to a specific port on the switch. Double check your owner's manual.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Silver Problem Solver

I use an 8-port gigabit switch with my XB6.  All my devices can connect.  Have you made any changes to the XB6 since you got it?  I am using an Orbi as my router in AP mode.  Are you using your router for wifi?  I turned off my XB6 wifi SSID's since I use my Orbi for all my wifi.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

problem with xb6 ethernet connecting to anything other than a computer or laptop

Recently I swapped out my xb3 for an xb6.   Before I did this, I had 3 devices connected via the ethernet ports, 1 Xbox one, 1 netgear router, and 1 camera.  When I made the switch I got an ethernet switch so i could connect all my devices.  Since making the change to the xb6 none of my devices connect via the ethernet.  At first, I thought it was the switch but I have connected multiple laptops to all ends and get a very good connection.  My question is,  why can't anything other than a computer connect via the ethernet?