Community Forum

port forward won't work

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

port forward won't work

I recently "upgraded" our modem to a ARRIS TG1682G so that I could use the xFi app. Now our port forwarding won't work. I have the rules defined and they show in the app, but the ports are still not open. 

Any ideas? I can no longer see port forwarding by logging into the modem's admin page. 

thanks. 

John H. 

New Poster

Re: port forward won't work and the interface has move to the website

I have the same problem since I upgraded to Voice and got a TG1682. My Motorola modem and Netgear router had forwarded ports just fine.

Initially, I followed all the steps, so opened ports in the admin interface of the modem, but couldn't see my web cams outside my home.

So far I have talked to two service techs (clueless) in my home and tech support on the phone (equally clueless).

I decided to try one more time only to find my modem's firmware must have updated and now the admin screen for port forwarding refers me to the Xfi website where a straightforward interface lets me input my forwarding info but on clicking APPLY, I get the message "Sorry, we're having a bit of problem.  Try again or call support (HA!)". Trying again results in the same failure. And, BTW, I first deleted my forwarded ports input in the admin screen weeks ago so I now have no forwarding and can't re-input the ports.

HOW ABOUT GETTING A COMCAST PERSON INTO THIS DISCUSSION AND GET THIS FIXED!!!

New Poster

I have the exact same problem. Several phone calls and chats. They told me that I had to reset my modem to factory settings because the modem and router inside the box were out of sync and if I reset them then the web tools would work. I went through the pain of this with 0 luck! It still forces me to go to the xFinity site to manage port fwding (instead of letting me do it at the router which used to work fine) and I get the same error. sigh. Not sure what to do now. I guess I have 2 choices. Buy my own router or use bridge mode and send all the control to my AirPort basestation and let IT manage the forwarding.

Beginning to hate comcast and only had it for 3 weeks!

New Poster

One thing to check that caught me out...do the forwards work OUTSIDE your internal network? That was the problem for me, I was able to setup the forwards but testing internally was giving no joy. External port scanners were showing the ports open (or closed when I removed the forwards). When I went external to my network and attempted to connect to my forwarded services, I found that they were in fact working. I'd prefer to have them work internally as well but have been too busy to look into it more but what limited info I found suggests that it may be a NAT issue
Diamond Problem Solver

caseyr13 wrote:
When I went external to my network and attempted to connect to my forwarded services, I found that they were in fact working. I'd prefer to have them work internally as well but have been too busy to look into it more but what limited info I found suggests that it may be a NAT issue

Were you trying to connect to the public IP "internally" to connect to your servers? If so, that is known as "NAT loopback" and most routers have it disabled;

https://www.google.com/search?q=nat+loopback&oq=nat+loopback&aqs=chrome..69i57j35i39j0l4.8127j0j4&so...

Expert
Moved:

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379