Community Forum

netgear cm500 Modem- Amber light constant, missing upstream channels

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

netgear cm500 Modem- Amber light constant, missing upstream channels

Today I installed a new modem, the Netgear CM500. Internet works, but the upstream light is constantly amber, and I can notice trouble when multiuple people are trying to access an upstream-- it just takes too long to load webpages. For some reason, there is only one upstream channel. I have no clue how to fix this and have not encountered this problem anywehre else on the internet. (this is a 4x16 router so I should have 4 upstreams... I don't understand why only one is showing up)Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 12.27.35 AM.png

Expert

Re: netgear cm500 Modem- Amber light constant, missing upstream channels

Hi @jdamico

Your upstream level is too high (ideal is ~45dBmV). You aren't getting a good enough connection upstream, so your modem has defaulted to a single channel. Usually, this is caused by too many splitters or bad/substandard wiring. It's possible it is a Comcast issue, but most likely the problem exists between the tap (pole) and your modem. 

See the troubleshooting guide.

I am not an employee.
Regular Visitor

Ok, but we don't have any splitters in our house, it's a very small condo. Do you think I should give Comcast a call?

Expert

@jdamico

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not an employee.
Official Employee

Hello, I would like to look into this for you from here. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.