Community Forum

is there a way to check serial numbers of modems you want to bring to xfinity?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

is there a way to check serial numbers of modems you want to bring to xfinity?

I just signed up with xfinity and plan to bring my own modem to avoid rental.

Assuming is in the xfinity approved device list (mydeviceinfo.xfinity....), Is there a way either via web or phone to check if a (used) modem can be used with xfinity?

From what I found out, xfinity does check their serial numbers.

Pretty much like cellphone companies check serial / imei numbers from devices.

It is my understanding there are people selling devices that either were comcast property, like left behind/never returned, or their account was not in good standing, and they have been blacklisted by xfinity. 

Thanks in advance.

Expert

Re: is there a way to check serial numbers of modems you want to bring to xfinity?

Yes. Look on the label of the device for the MAC address and the serial number of it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: is there a way to check serial numbers of modems you want to bring to xfinity?

Thanks. I know where to find and read the numbers. my question was where or how to check those with xfinity.
Expert

1-800-comcast ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

You can try going to your online account and under Devices, try adding your new device.  if it registers, it should be good for use.

Expert

Year old dead thread now being closed..