Community Forum

is comcast double internet speeds

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

is comcast double internet speeds

i heard 2 weeks ago they were double their 50 mbps and 25 mbps. has anyone else heard about this or when it was going to heappen?

Silver Problem Solver
Silver Problem Solver

Re: is comcast double internet speeds

T'would be nice if true....I remember being excited when Blast! first got here at 16/2.....Wonder how long it will take to get to other areas? (as long as they don't double the price)!

Problem Solver

Sweet!!!

Just got finished with upgrading my LAN to Gigabit......

Currently I'm on Extreme 50......105 at 50's price would be great!!Smiley Happy

New Poster

i heard that on the radio and jumped at getting the extreme 50.  got mine last week but haven't seen a 100mb connection yet

Problem Solver

Latest from the rumor mill is the upgraded speed(s) will happen sometime in September.......

We'll see......

Frequent Visitor

About Comcast Xfinity Speed Upgrade

I got a email that says from Comcast Xfinity about internet speed upgrade. Is it true on this speed upgrade. I so far do not see it anyplace on the website.

HERE WHAT IT SAYS...............

Your XFINITY® Internet is now twice as fast.

Dear Valued Customer,

Great news! Now you can do more online in half the time. That's because we've automatically upgraded your XFINITY® Internet speed — and it won't cost you a penny more.

What does this mean for you?

You can download HD movies, TV shows and more to your laptop, tablet or smartphone in half the time. It's just another way we're continuing to ensure your entertainment enjoyment.

Contributor

Great news! Now you can do more online in half the time.
That's because we've automatically upgraded your XFINITY® Internet speed — and it won't cost you a penny more.

What does this mean for you?

You can download HD movies, TV shows and more to your laptop, tablet or smartphone in half the time. It's just another way we're continuing to ensure your entertainment enjoyment.

Sincerely,
Comcast

This is easy. This is simple. This is awesome.

Activate your speed increase:

Shut down your computer
Unplug your modem
Plug your modem back in
Wait 30 seconds and turn your computer back on

New Poster

I received the same message and followed the instructions.  I now have twice the download speed but only a 1/20th of the upload speed I had before!!!  Comcast technical help couldn't fix it - now waiting on a guy to come out and see me - tomorrow! Anyone else having the same issues???

New Poster

I am having a similar issue.  I did speed tests before doing anything and I was getting 18 mbps down and 5 up (If I remember blast should be 30 mbps down and 15 up which I have never gotten) and after following the instructions I get 20 mbps down and 0.17 mbps up.  This is rediculous.

Expert

Guys, if you have a router, don't forget to powercycle it too. 

If you are still having issues, run ShaperProbe and post your results. You probably want to start your own topic though, otherwise it will get pretty confusing in this thread.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

I am on the Blast! tier as well, but I am using a eMTA SBV5220. Now I need a D3 eMTA to get the new speeds. Comcast sent me to the local office with my eMTA and I was turned away. Waiting for the tech to come and swap it.

With a D2 eMTA I am getting 30 down and 5 up. What is the max speed of a D2 modem?

Thanks. 

Expert

Tek wrote: What is the max speed of a D2 modem?

A current, single QAM 256 modulated, 6.4 MHz wide, downstream cable channel supports a raw data rate of approximately 43 Mbps, and a real world throughput of approximately 38.1 Mbps under uncongested system conditions.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@Tek wrote:

With a D2 eMTA I am getting 30 down and 5 up. What is the max speed of a D2 modem?

Maximum raw throughput for DOCSIS 2 devices is 42.88 Mbit/s down, 30.72 Mbit/s up.

Contributor

Hello all!  I'm a bit confused.  According to the DSL Reports story, the double speed increase is only in the Northeast.  According to some internet stories I read last night, the intimation was the Blast and Extreme tiers would be doubled everywhere and the new super fast speed would only be available in the Northeast.  If all of this is only for a certain part of the country, what about the rest of us paying roughly the same amount of money for what would be half the speed of the Northeast? 

I called Comcast to clarify and no one had a clue what I was talking about (not surprising).  Anyone have any word on those of us in other parts of the country?

New Poster

I had the same 18 down and 5 up. After restarting the modem, it's 25/5. Im supposed to get 30 anyway! I get no where near 50!!!

Comcast what am I doing wrong? I have reset the modem, and powercycled

Expert

Are you in the Northeast ? This is the area where it is being rolled out first.

Regular Visitor

I power cycled my modem twice and did not get the speed upgrade. I then called Comcast and got an agent that didn't know how to handle my problem and told me that there was nothing I could do. I asked her to let me speak to a "tech" and she said that she was a tech. My brain went into the bologna deflection mode and I said goodbye and thanks for "trying". I then called Comcast again, got a different person who got my speed doubled in about 4 minutes.He knew immediately what to do and did it all from his end. I am now getting speeds from mid 50 mbps to low 80 mbps with latency of 43 and jitter of 2.

New Poster

Do you have any idea what they did to fix this issue?  I'm in the Baltimore area and Blast is part of my triple play but they can not get me 50mb.  I use the SB6120 Motorola modem for internet. So far the only thing they can come up with is sending a tech out on Tuesday 8/7 to see what the issue is. It seems to me like it is a provisioning isssue on Comcast's side.

Frequent Visitor

Here is Comcast's Press Release: http://www.comcast.com/About/PressRelease/PressReleaseDetail.ashx?PRID=1205&SCRedirect=true

Comcast just told me the same will be rolled out to the Central US w/in 1-2 months (Indiana and Illinois were 2 states confirmed for this next rollout).  Emails will be sent out near the rollout date.  There is currently no ETA for the West Coast.

Also confirmed by Comcast is that their new 305Mbps Titanium plan will be btwn $120-$130/mo.  Comcast stated that other service providers currently offer plans in this speed range, but the other providers charge a higher price.

New Poster

I received an email from Comcast telling me to power cycle my modem to get the higher speed but it did not work and so far they have not been able to provision it correctly. They say then need to send a tech out.

Frequent Visitor

I got the email, too. It also said to maybe buy a new modem since my curreny one wouldn't be strong enough. Unless of course I want to increase Comcast's wealth by leasing one from them. And now? My service has been going out all day. 

One more example of why I am so fed up with Comcast.

New Poster

Well, heres my update.  Yesterday 8/7 about 1150am, my modem went thru several reboots.  I had not contacted Comcast, but I called every number I could find on Monday and got no where, just the same 25mb/4mb old Blast.  But after the modem settled down, a speed test proved they had fixed their issue and I was able to get 50mb/8mb.  The download speed would vary from 44mb to 53mb and the upload would never reach 10.  I didn't do anything, just waited for the tech to show up.  He did and was very nice and friendly.  I was given 1pm the 3pm and he showed up at 150pm and was on his way by 248pm.  When he came in, I asked if he had  the new unit with him and he said no I'm just here on a trouble call.  I explained what all had happened since Friday and showed him where everything was (splitters, arris 502 telephone modem and my Motorola SB6120).  He tested the signal at the jack where my SB6120 was connected and said everything was fine.  He looked at my splitters and said everything was configured correctly.  He said he had a new unit in the truck but when he closes out my ticket he would have to update it to an install vs. a trouble call.  I said no issue as Comcast ensured me I would not incur any charges from their visit and if I do I'll address that with customer service.  He went and got the new all in one SMC gateway SMCD3GNV SW rev 2.1.3.5.6.1.  He had it connected and activated in no time at all and was getting 53mb /10.25mb.  Great I said.  I asked him for a back up battery for it and packed up the old rented Arris unit for him.  Everything worked except my wireless adapters on a voip phone and my blue ray players. (So PC's, iPad's, iPhones, all worked great with the SMC gateway.)  When I started troubleshooting my 3 wireless adapters that did not work, I connected my work help desk and they informed me that the radio in the SMC was not very good meaning the wireless part sucks.  So I decided for now to just disable the WiFi on the SMC and use my existing Cisco 4500EA modem.  Everything is working great..  Now I just have to wait for that next bill and see what it looks like..

Silver Problem Solver

FWIW, you would be best to call the tech's on 1 800 363 2416 to bridge the router of your SMC, or you will have double NAT connecting your own router, which may cause problems. Only takes 5 mins on that number and you should be good.
Valued Contributor

I just installed my new SMC D3 gateway. I am now getting 45 to 60 mbps with the speed test. Very happy. I think I was getting 10 up, but do not remember. Nice job comcast.
Regular Visitor

I do not know what the tech agent did from his end. I checked the speeds before and after and the download speed actually doubled.(Approximately) Some of the agents are more knowledgeable than others so make sure the one you get knows his stuff.

New Poster

Thought I'd share -- YMMV.

I received the email and upgraded from an old Linksys BEFCMU10 to the SB6121.  I called to activate the new modem and it worked, but I was still only seeing 25/4 speeds, which I was basically getting with the old Linksys.  After a few hours with a tech on the phone, I was HORRIFIED that whatever she'd done, the modem was now gimped to 16/1 speeds!!  Very upset, to say the least.

Fast forward to today, and I called Comcast again.  The first person who answered said their systems showed I still had the old Linksys and asked if I'd upgraded to a new modem.  I said I had recently put a new 6121 on the line and he asked for the "customer s/n" from the 6121's box.  I gave it to him, and after a few minutes and a reboot...I'm getting 53/10.7!!!  I asked what he did and he said he just made sure all the systems knew I had the right modem...

Moral of the story... It really matters who you get, and if you've recently upgraded it may be worth it to ask if they've really got the right equipment registered *EVERYWHERE*

Expert
Moved: