Community Forum

internet connection sharing error.(6) issue

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

internet connection sharing error.(6) issue

I am trying to set up a Nintendo Wii USB Wifi adapter. Half way through on loading on the drivers you have to plug in the Wifi adapter, after that it loads a little more, and then an error pops up and says internet connection sharing error.(6) Does anyone know what this is and how to fix it?
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: internet connection sharing error.(6) issue

I didn't dig through the results to see if any contained the resolution, but this clickable link to web search results for "nintendo wii" AND "internet connection sharing error" might help you find it.
Frequent Visitor

thanks, no help on those pages though, I have been searching on the internet for a few days now and nothing.
Silver Problem Solver

jkpyke wrote:
I am trying to set up a Nintendo Wii USB Wifi adapter. Half way through on loading on the drivers you have to plug in the Wifi adapter, after that it loads a little more, and then an error pops up and says internet connection sharing error.(6) Does anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

How is this cabled up?  Should be an Ethernet cable from the Modem to a Wireless Router and a USB connection for the Nintendo to the wireless adapter????
Is the Wireless router powered up?
Frequent Visitor

Nope don't need a router, the thing acts as a router. All you have to do is load the software and go. That is why I got it, I didn't want to have to get a router. I can just plug it in when I need it and unplug it when I don't.
Silver Problem Solver

The Wikipedia page for this device lists a number of compatibility issues. If you're already using Internet Connection Sharing on the PC, it won't work; the Nintendo device also uses ICS, and there can only be one ICS configuration on a system. It also has compatibility problems with some firewalls.

How much did it cost? A wireless router probably wouldn't be much more expensive and have fewer problems, so if you can get your money back I'd suggest trading up to a router.
Silver Problem Solver

jkpyke wrote:
Nope don't need a router, the thing acts as a router. All you have to do is load the software and go. That is why I got it, I didn't want to have to get a router. I can just plug it in when I need it and unplug it when I don't.

Well OK then

Inappropriate response deleted for Clarity 

Message Edited by JMCS on 12-28-2007 04:06 PM
Diamond Problem Solver

JMCS wrote:

Well if you plug a wireless adapter into a device, that implies that there will be a wireless Router for that wireless adapter to connect to.   At lease that is the way it seems to me.
So we go back to "How is it cabled?"  The modem is not normally witrekess unless you have a Wireless Cable Gateway.  Failing that, you need a cable going to a wireless router and then a wireless connection from the Wireless Router to the Wireless Adapter on the Nintendo. 

J.M., did you read the info at the link that Barmar provided ?
Silver Problem Solver

EG wrote:

JMCS wrote:

Well if you plug a wireless adapter into a device, that implies that there will be a wireless Router for that wireless adapter to connect to.   At lease that is the way it seems to me.
So we go back to "How is it cabled?"  The modem is not normally witrekess unless you have a Wireless Cable Gateway.  Failing that, you need a cable going to a wireless router and then a wireless connection from the Wireless Router to the Wireless Adapter on the Nintendo. 

J.M., did you read the info at the link that Barmar provided ?

Daaa well no I did not do that.  Err how do I say thank you for not rubbing my nose in it. 

See my modified post for update
Frequent Visitor

Is a router going to slow down my connection. I have a Motorola sbv5220. Also if I hook up the router, will I have to do a power cycle on the Motorola?
Bronze Problem Solver

jkpyke,

Any time you hook up a different device to your modem, you need to power cycle it.  And the router shouldn't slow down your connection.

Sorry you haven't been able to find the USB device solution.
Frequent Visitor

no problem, but thanks everyone for the help
Frequent Visitor

How do you power cycle this modem, do you just have to hit the reset on the back? Just wondering because of the battery backup in it.
Also what can you do with the USB port on the back of this thing?
Diamond Problem Solver

Bear in mind that in order to powercycle that modem, you need to use the reset button on back rather than just removing it from the power source.

[Edit]

I posted this before seeing your post... Tooo funny !!

[/Edit]

Message Edited by EG on 12-28-2007 07:52 PM
Bronze Problem Solver

And to answer the other question...the USB port would be used as an alternative to connecting to your system via ethernet.  But using the ethernet connection (as you are now) is preferable.