Community Forum

iPhone connecting to xfinitywifi public hotspot before home wifi connection

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

iPhone connecting to xfinitywifi public hotspot before home wifi connection

How do I get my iphone to prefer connecting to my home wifi rather than the xfinitywifi (public hotspot) at my home? Time and time again I find that for some reason my iphone has connected to xfinitywifi and I have to force it to join my home wifi. I know when it happens because the phone will show a wifi connection but not be getting any data.  The xfinitywifi hotspot at my house, like many I encounter in public places, is often in zombie mode.  I can connect but no data.

The 'Prefer Private Connection' option is enabled on the Gateway Connected Devices page and the phone is on the list of known devices.  I've tried to disable the public hotspot through my online account settings but that doesn't do anything.  Xfinitywifi is still available to connect to even after waiting the prescribed 24 hours.

I've considered disabling auto join for xfinitywifi on my phone but that seems more like a workaround than a real solution, and defeats the purpose of having all those hotspots available, as I want to be optimistic about Comcast to fixing their zombies. So, any other ideas?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: iPhone connecting to xfinitywifi public hotspot before home wifi connection

Is there some reason you need the xfinitywifi SSID? I turned mine off so that outsiders couldn't use it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

wrote:

How do I get my iphone to prefer connecting to my home wifi rather than the xfinitywifi (public hotspot) at my home? Time and time again I find that for some reason my iphone has connected to xfinitywifi and I have to force it to join my home wifi. I know when it happens because the phone will show a wifi connection but not be getting any data.  The xfinitywifi hotspot at my house, like many I encounter in public places, is often in zombie mode.  I can connect but no data.

The 'Prefer Private Connection' option is enabled on the Gateway Connected Devices page and the phone is on the list of known devices.  I've tried to disable the public hotspot through my online account settings but that doesn't do anything.  Xfinitywifi is still available to connect to even after waiting the prescribed 24 hours.

I've considered disabling auto join for xfinitywifi on my phone but that seems more like a workaround than a real solution, and defeats the purpose of having all those hotspots available, as I want to be optimistic about Comcast to fixing their zombies. So, any other ideas?

Try forgetting the xfinitywifi network name in your iphone and make sure that your home network's name is at the top of the list. You probably will need to disable the "Auto Join" feature as well.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

wrote:

Is there some reason you need the xfinitywifi SSID? I turned mine off so that outsiders couldn't use it.

What if it is a neighbor's, a commercial business's, or a strand mounted public WiFi hotspot ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I'm sorry this is NOT the answer.