Community Forum

how to set up printer sharing thru router

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

how to set up printer sharing thru router

I'm operating with a new wireless router. I want to connect the router to a Cannon ip3600 using the USB port on both machines.  The million dollar question:  How to set up printer sharing thru the router?

I successfully log in to the router. ..  then

* select:  Connected Devices

* select:  Add device with Reserved IP 

* the form wants me to give:

** Host:   (printer name?)

** MAC address:    (where found?)

** Reserved IP Address:   (suggestion?)

Am I looking in the wrong place?  Is there a "correct" way?   Xfinity help desk has zero answers.  Google searches indicate this same problem has been around for the past 8+ years.  I'm confident that I'm not alone here.  What's the answer?  

Gold Problem Solver

Re: how to set up printer sharing thru router

@kishbaugh wrote: I'm operating with a new wireless router. I want to connect the router to a Cannon ip3600 using the USB port on both machines.  The million dollar question:  How to set up printer sharing thru the router? ...

If it's a Comcast gateway device, you can't. The USB ports on those devices don't pass data. You'd need to connect your printer some other way. See https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=answers&question_box=networking%20PIXMA%20iP3600