Community Forum

how to edit 2.4 GHz settings

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

how to edit 2.4 GHz settings

I have several devices that use the B rail of the 80211 WiFi signal.  Apparently around the 16th of March Xfinity rolled out a network change that removed the B rail from their gateway routers leaving only the G and N. Now my devices no longer work. I spent considerable time attempting to get into the WiFi settings so I could follow the Fitbit advice on how to restore the B rail and was able to do it. My Fitbit Aria worked great for one day. The next day it would no longer connect to the network as it appears that Xfinity pushed out another "update" to their network. I spent an hour today trying to replicate the way I was able to get into the router to modify the settings again but can't even find where to make the changes. The only access to edit I can find now is to change the Name and the passwords. Many other Fitbit customers have the same problem so it would be nice if Xfinity could put up some suggestions on how to ensure the B rail stays on the 2.4 GHz rail. 

Would appreciate any help the community can provide.

New Poster

Re: how to edit 2.4 GHz settings

Has there been any progress? 
So sad the Xfinity is oblivious to the needs of their customers!

Expert

This thread is a bit old, but I suspect that the issue isnt the "B rail " (whatever that means) but some kind of conflict with the 2.4Ghz band; I'd suggest changing the 2.4 Ghz channel from Auto to either 1,6, or 11.  

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi ClueGadget, 

Were you able to get this figured out? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Were you able to figure this out?  Fitbit gave me instructions but they do not match anything on the Xfinity site and Xfinity tells me that all is well and this is a problem with my Fitbit scale.  Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

There is a long, long thread on the Fitbit support forums about this. Some of the advice given there (by Fitbit!) is good, some is bogus. Here's what I've found out and worked out in the past week.

You do need to be sure that the router is allowing legacy 802.11b connections at 2.4 GHz. The original Fitbit Aria scale will not connect in any other way. This has been the experience of pretty much everyone. (The Aria 2 may be a different story; I don't know about that.) Moreover,  the Xfinity router may not display its protocol settings accurately (this is a case of dueling incompetences). So even if your router is saying that its 2.4GHz network is set to 802.11 b/g/n, you still have to change it. Specifically (I am not making this up) you have to first set it to 802.11 g/n (no matter what it's displaying), and then to 802.11 b/g/n. A technically knowledgable Fitbit user laid it all out in this post.
Fitbit's instructions are to do this setup through https://internet.xfinity.com/more, but that's outdated; there's nothing useful on that page. Instead go to https://internet.xfinity.com/network, then Advanced Settings, then 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi, then 2.4 GHz. Alternatively, open the router control panel (http://10.0.0.1/) and log in. Go to Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi, then find the 2.4GHz network. Either way, you edit the 2.4GHz network settings as above: set it to 802.11 g/n, then to 802.11 b/g/n. On my system, it says it's working for a minute or two and then times out, but in fact the setting change has been made.
And then you get to go through the insane setup routine for the scale itself. If swearing burns calories, this whole process is guaranteed to get you in shape. 

New Poster

Thanks for the advice. After months of having to update my Aria manually it is now syncing again. We’ll have to see how long it lasts before Comcast arbitrarily change their settings again.
Frequent Visitor

Great, glad that helped! I have to say, though, that after a few days my scale disconnected again, and it seems to disconnect every time there is the slightest hiccup on my WiFi network. Very frustrating.

New Poster

If you do this will you lose connection to other devices (cameras, printers, etc.)?

Frequent Visitor

@Sherrydk_2000 wrote:

If you do this will you lose connection to other devices (cameras, printers, etc.)?

That I don't know. I haven't experienced any such problems. E.g., I am able to print from my Android phone over this network. I think (but do not know for sure) that this process simply allows 802.11b devices to connect, alongside more up-to-date 802.11g and 802.11n.

New Poster

Finally got my son home long enough to work through the instructions provided by 

.  We got past the "Setup Active" all the way to the checkmark!   I see others have said it will disconnect ---- guess we will see - but at least I'm through the first part.  Thanks everyone!