Community Forum

emails

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert

Re: emails

Retrieve files from windows.old

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Expert

OK I'm not familiar with the program you mentioned.   If the specific emails you need have only been gone a few days or a week, Comcast security might be able to retrieve them for you--------------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Regular Visitor

I have always checked to leave emails on the server, regardless of the email client i use. When I upgraded to 8.1, I was using outlook 2010 as my email client. After the upgrade outlook started to freeze and go "crazy' at times so I started looking for another 3rd party client.

The short story is that when you upgrade all the 'old' emails are placed in a folder labeled "windows.old" on the primary drive. These can only be opened by Outlook.

So a vicious circle has ensued and I am now using eMclient as the mail program,. Where I erred was that I used a program called Datanumen to retrieve the emails and it has done that job, but, now to read them I need to purchase the program from $250. Otherwise teh emails a rendered unreadable.

That is why I have posted the query about on long emails will stay o the server.

Expert

Emails are kept on the server according to how you have your deletion schedules set up in Preferences for Comcast.  Understand though that if you have the account set up using an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird on your computer, those settings will override your Comcast preferences.  The same applies if you are using a mail app on a smartphone or a tablet.

Also, updating to 8.1 would not have had any effect on your email by itself.  Are you using a client on the 8.1 machine like Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail?  Do you have the account enabled on a phone or tablet?

Regular Visitor

emails

How long do the emails stay on the server? The reason I ask is that I upgraded to windows 8.1 and lost all of my emails and now I need to retrieve selected emails to substantiate a claim for work.