Community Forum

do I need to add an terminator to the end of about 15 ns of coax cablecable

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

do I need to add an terminator to the end of about 15 ns of coax cablecable

I recently moved my cable modem to a more central location.  I now have about 15 ns of un-terminated cable.  This setup worked ok for a while, but the last few week or so I have been unable to get on the internet.  The modem displayed a red x by interned at the banner on top of the sign-in page. The log-in window says " connection secure, no internet"  this would happen several times a day.  Now it seems to be OK but for how long?  I am wondering if I need to terminate that open cable.

Capture copy.jpg
Expert

Re: do I need to add an terminator to the end of about 15 ns of coax cablecable

How do the signal levels look like? The username/password combo is admin/password if it has not been changed from default. Then go to Connection > Xfinity Network.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I don't know if the signal strength matters.  It is better than it was.  The "troubleshooting/spectrum analyzer only gives signal strength for devices that it detects and doesn't show much that's useful.  I am currently logged into the 5 GHzchannel and my MAC address is: E4-F8-9C-FC-54-95 and doesn't show up.  Hear is what that page looks like: file :capture1,

If I use another program I can see the ignal strength from from both the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels and they seem fine. capture 2.  But I can't see what differance that makes.  any reflection from an unterminated cable will be the same -percentage wise.  On capture 2, I am on either SkeeterNet or SkeeterNet5 both look pretty good, the other devices are from the neighbors.  It has been working for several hours now.

Capture2.JPG
Expert

You may want to remove your MAC address in your post from this public forum.

And it is the RF signal stats from the Comcast system that are wanted, not the WiFi signal strength.

Post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

well i couldn't determine anything about Signl/noise or anything that looks useful.  When I was working we used to use somethng called TDR (time domain reflectrometry) to check our cables.  This doesn't seem to be important with video- why is that? Anyway, I think it is unimportant.  I just got down from the attic; there are cables all over the place! most of which don't go anywhere.  Tomorrow I'll go up there and clean out the ones that are null and try and figure out what goes where --meanwhile nevermnd!

Expert

All of those un-terminated lines are likely acting like a giant antenna and injecting noise ingress into the system.

And if you do eliminate unneeded lines, also eliminate any no longer needs splitters. Reduce down to the smallest splitter possible.