Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

decoupling email delete between devices

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

decoupling email delete between devices

When I delete an email on one device, it gets deleted on all connected devices. How do I stop this from happening?

Expert

Re: decoupling email delete between devices

You would need to reconfigure the account on each device to use POP3 instead of IMAP.  Or, you could disable or delete the account in whatever app you are using on each device, then access the account only using the browser and the webmail interface.  IMAP is the preferred protocol to use when you are accessing your email from more than one device.  It keeps everything in sync across all of them.  That's why an email is deleted on all the devices if you delete it on one.  That is what is supposed to happen.  I would not recommend POP3 with more than one device.  Also, most smartphones, tablets and computer email clients will now auto-configure Comcast accounts using IMAP since they use that protocol by default now.

Another option might be to create a local folder in the mail app on a device you want to keep an email in.  That way it won't be affected by IMAP.