Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

comcast email on new smart phones

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

comcast email on new smart phones

We have a comcast email that we recieve on 2 different new Lg g6 phones. When I erase an email it gets erased off of the other phone too. It did not do this with our old phones. Is there a setting somewhere that I can't seem to find on my own that will separate them from affecting each other?

Contributor

Re: comcast email on new smart phones

From what I've seen with my galaxy J3, that's not something we have control over.  Apparently their preinstalled email programs are set up to delete emails from the server.  I have searched high and low on my phone to turn that off but there is no way to change that.  I finally stopped using their email program since I use outlook at home and don't like keeping emails on my phone. 

Expert

Re: comcast email on new smart phones

RB85 wrote:

We have a comcast email that we recieve on 2 different new Lg g6 phones. When I erase an email it gets erased off of the other phone too. It did not do this with our old phones. Is there a setting somewhere that I can't seem to find on my own that will separate them from affecting each other?

If you let the phone auto-configure the account for you, it almost certainly used the IMAP protocol to do so.  With IMAP, if you do anything to an email on one device, it is reflected on any others with the same account enabled on it also using IMAP.  You probably had one of them using POP3 before, which does not sync anything.  Comcast email accounts are now IMAP compliant by default, and most devices now will detect them as such and configure them accordingly.