Community Forum

account type

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

account type

I am trying to set up my e-mail account on my new tablet.  It want to know my account type (POP3 or IMAP).  

Expert

Re: account type

@jpops wrote:

I am trying to set up my e-mail account on my new tablet.  It want to know my account type (POP3 or IMAP).  

You can use either.

The settings to configure an email client can be found here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: account typepersonal or bussines?

It really doesn’t matter unless you’re using Exchange. You’re going to see that IMAP is grayed out when you go to set the parameters of your account so IMAP is greyed out, next you'll type either pop. , or mail. , or you can use IMAP.

All of these will have  ".comcast.net" as  "SMTP.COMCAST.NET".  After which you'll click/tap "more" settings" you should only have to set 3 items, Outgoing, and advance 995 and 465/567. No I have had a day or so of not receiving any mail after 9 am and an issue connecting to the incoming server using the same credentials as the outgoing. If I change the 995 to 993 and the 2nd doesn’t matter too much I can connect a blink of an eye but the rest of the connections are "Hey man I think the Clock is SLOW" and has timed out. Odd you say yea!! Go figure. If you could please respond accordingly with your experience today! Thanks, this has happened a few times in the last 3 yrs. thanks again have a good day. Oh and are you using a 3rd party mail service like outlook??

Expert

Re: account typepersonal or bussines?

@gofishen wrote:

It really doesn’t matter unless you’re using Exchange. You’re going to see that IMAP is grayed out when you go to set the parameters of your account so IMAP is greyed out, next you'll type either pop. , or mail. , or you can use IMAP.

All of these will have  ".comcast.net" as  "SMTP.COMCAST.NET".  After which you'll click/tap "more" settings" you should only have to set 3 items, Outgoing, and advance 995 and 465/567. No I have had a day or so of not receiving any mail after 9 am and an issue connecting to the incoming server using the same credentials as the outgoing. If I change the 995 to 993 and the 2nd doesn’t matter too much I can connect a blink of an eye but the rest of the connections are "Hey man I think the Clock is SLOW" and has timed out. Odd you say yea!! Go figure. If you could please respond accordingly with your experience today! Thanks, this has happened a few times in the last 3 yrs. thanks again have a good day. Oh and are you using a 3rd party mail service like outlook??

Residential email doesn't use Exchange, however, business does.

I posted the link for the correct settings above.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!