Community Forum

Your account is nearing its space quota

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Your account is nearing its space quota

If you are using only Xfinity Connect, consider opening a free email program such as Gmail or Thunderbird and use it for long term storage.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Expert

I don't think you can with a residential account.  You might consider a business class account.

New Poster

how do i buy more storage?

Gold Problem Solver

fchanowski wrote:

It's now been 8 months since you posted this message. What is the result of "We are looking into increasing the storage size of the mailboxes"?

Fred C

Actually it has been over 10 years since that was posted.

At the time of this topic was started the limit was 10mb.

Today it is 10gb, which is more than 10mb.

New Poster

It's now been 8 months since you posted this message. What is the result of "We are looking into increasing the storage size of the mailboxes"?

Fred C

Most Valued Poster

"As Comcast considers increasing mailbox storage size, we are investigating options that will not pass the costs of the upgrade on to our customers."

We dont want it if it will cost us more!

Also, just use gmail. 1000mb space.
Regular Visitor

I am having this same problem. Storage shows less than 1% on Comcast. Did you ever get an answer to this?
Most Valued Poster

Anon797847,

If you have used Webmail to send email, have deleted emails from the inbox in Webmail or have the Email Screener turned on, emails will be moved to folders that are only viewable from within Webmail. This is all independent of your use of OE. You can check this out by clicking on the E-mail link on the top of the page at www.comcast.net.
Not applicable

When I check the path for my inbox folder, sent folder, etc., it lists my local drive. Are you saying that there are still copies of messages on the server even though I do not have the "leave copy of message" on server checked in Outlook Express Set-up?
Most Valued Poster

Do you have more than one email account? Have your verified the status of any additional accounts that you have? Each account comes with its own 10 MB mailbox.
Not applicable

Michael,
Yes I made sure my only folder, INBOX, is empty and verified that both Copy options are not selected in the Mail Options. My webmail displays that my storage is 1% used so I don't understand why I would receive the "space quota" e-mail warning in the first place.

Ed
Most Valued Poster

Anon,

To address your points:

1. We are looking into increasing the storage size of the mailboxes. Jason (one of the other moderators) has posted on this several times (see below).
2. Video Mail takes up almost no space at all. The actual email is nothing more than text with a link to the video, which is stored on a seperate server. This will have absolutely no impact on the storage capacity of your email.
3. I am not sure what you mean by a message limited to 1MB. Emails can be up to 10MB. If you are sending any type of non-text attachment (photos, video, music, etc.), these need to be converted to text before they can be sent. With the overhead involved, the effective size of the attachment will be around 7.5MB.

HTH.

Original post from Jason on 6/30/04:

Comcast is investigating the option of increasing mailbox storage size, as I am sure most other ISPs are currently looking into. We are investigating options that will provide the higher storage without having to increase any costs to our customers. One of the major differences between Google/Yahoo and other email providers increasing mailbox sizes versus Comcast and other ISPs is the cost factor. As Yahoo and other email providers increase their mailbox storage size, the cost of doing this is passed on to their paying customers (namely advertisers). As Comcast considers increasing mailbox storage size, we are investigating options that will not pass the costs of the upgrade on to our customers.

In the meantime, you can set up your email to not save your sent messages or to save only ones that you select. To do this, click on the Email Options link on the left menu of your webmail screen and then click on the Copies link. Uncheck both of the items in the next screen and save the changes and you will no longer save any copies of your sent messages.

Then if you want to save a copy of a particular message that you are sending, when composing the message place a check mark in the Copy to SentMail Folder or Copy to Inbox option below the subject line of the email to save a copy of the message.

This should help to keep your email account from filling up. Another option that will keep your inbox from filling up is to set up an email program like Outlook Express to access your email and to download all of the messages from the server to the computer that you have the program set up on (follow the steps in this FAQ for assistance with setting this up). While this will not allow you to view all of your messages via webmail, it will better manage your email so that you can set up the options and characteristics of how your email functions.

Jason
Not applicable

This is telling me my account is nearing its space quota but its under my old account. attbi.com account????
Not applicable

Anyway the storage capacity on comcast mailboxes is totally RIDICULOUS !!! 10 MB - it is unacceptable for company who claims to be the fastests internet provider.
Yahoo has 100 MB free mailboxes - no comments.
And comcast even dares to launch something like video mail, I just learned about this and almost dropped dead: VIDEO MAIL and 10 MB maibox and a message limited to 1 MB(this must be some kind of a sick joke, right)!!!
Most Valued Poster

Have you logged into Webmail and verified that all folders were emptied?
Not applicable

I received the same e-mail message: "Your mailbox is now 9662386 bytes which exceeds 90 % of your allowed size of 10485760 bytes. To avoid exceeding your mailbox's
maximum size please delete some of your messages.
"
I double checked and verified that the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" option was unchecked in my Outlook 2002 and according to my Comcast e-mail my storage is at "1% used" so I don't understand how I've exceeded the allowed size.
Is there something I'm missing?
Most Valued Poster

Your trash, sent mail and screened mail folders all contribute to this total. Make sure that you are checking and cleaning all of your folders.
Not applicable

Your account is nearing its space quota

I've received this email each of the past three days:

> From: Mailer-Daemon@comcast.net
> To: jcgreen00@comcast.net
> Subject: Your account is nearing its space quota
> Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:06:03 +0000
>
> Your mailbox is now 9444097 bytes which exceeds 90 % of
> your allowed size of 10485760 bytes. To avoid exceeding
> your mailbox's maximum size please delete some of your
> messages.

I login a couple of times a day and download all messages.
Please investigate to see if there is something stuck in
my inbox that can't be downloaded.