Community Forum

You're eligible for a modem update

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

You're eligible for a modem update

A couple years ago, we finally found a modem that works best for our electronics in our house using a Technicolor TC8305C.  Minimal issues with maybe some wi-fi issues every once in awhile and all we need to do is unplug and reset and we're good to go.

We received an email today stating that we are eligible for a modem update.  Not sure if we should do it or not as we're concerned the new unit will be slower and / or even have issues with connectivity. 

While the ethernet is plugged into my computer, I'm getting download speeds of 168.4 Mbps and uploads of 10.5.  Same computer while using wi-fi, I'm getting D/L speeds of 38.8 Mbps and 11.2 upload speeds.

Just want to get some advice / opinions on should we switch out our unit to a newer modem.  Thanks in advance.

Expert

Re: You're eligible for a modem update

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods, powerline ethernet adapters, MoCA adapters. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

I'd add, that your current modem only has 8 downstream channels and single band 2.4 wireless.

The newer gateways Comcast provide are multi downstream channel and have dual band wireless AC.

Contributor

Since you are getting such miserable wireless download speeds, you should take a look at the specs for the wireless card in your pc . Until recently most hardware vendors installed cards only capable of  wireless b/g/n  and the download would often be limited to 50Mbps. Your existing modem advertises 300Mbps wireless.  Your wired and wireless speeds should be closer together unless you are pushing the distance. 

In order to take advantage of the newer wireless standard you would need a router capable of supporting ac (should be dual band concurrent 2.4 and 5) plus ensuring your wireless card/adapter is also capable. 

Expert

The TC8305C is obsolete, you seriously need to switch it out for the newer XB3 or XB6 models ASAP, depending on your speed tier, not just for performance, but for security. Older gateways are more susceptible to malware and intrusion. 

I don't know what your subscribed speed tier is, but it's likely your speed tier is going to be upgraded for free as well. 

If you own your device, you can refer to the list of retail devices available for purchase should you choose that route. Or you can go to https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com for a more comprehensive list.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!