Community Forum

Xfinity speed bump killed my downloads

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Xfinity speed bump killed my downloads

Hi everyone,

I received an email from Xfinity a week or so ago saying they're bumping me up from 75Mbps to 100Mpbs.

Unfortunately, since they did that, my Internet became pretty useless. Before, if I hit full bandwidth (~8.9MB/s), it would steadily sustain that rate. Now I'm getting 2 seconds of 14.9MB/s (normal pings) followed by 3 seconds of 2MB/s (ping x3 / drops), regular intervals. It looks like some sort of QoS / throttling on their side. I'm attaching a screenshot of what it looks like.

16 download channels with avg power of 11.5 dBmV and SNR of 38.9 dB

C6300 / wired+wireless (problem appears on both) / latest firmware / router mode

Anything I can do to improve it apart from asking Xfinity to drop it back to 75Mbps? The cabling is 6-8 years old max, it's a pretty new community. Thanks in advance and happy new year!

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 12.18.02 AM.png
Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity speed bump killed my downloads

I am assuming since the iocnrease you powercycled your modem?

The bump in speed should not have effected your modem like this and it may be worth calling Xfinity and having them run a line test to make sure everything looks good.

From there in your Xfinity device portal make sure the modem model is registered correctly.  Sometimes the techs register the wrong modem and then the firmware doesn't get on the device properly.

Not sure if any of these help, but its a start Smiley Happy

New Poster

Re: Xfinity speed bump killed my downloads

Hi, the modem was restarted / reset multiple times. During the tests, Xfinity informed me that my "modem is in yellow and red which means it doesn't receive complete signal from the server", whatever that is supposed to mean...

Hopefully they will find a few to fix it after the holiday break.