Community Forum

Xfinitiywifi - No Internet Connection

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Xfinitiywifi - No Internet Connection

@Archant - I got a reply from the WiFi team, please check your inbox. 

Regular Visitor

I would immediately assume that this was an open hotspot from residential location; however, our complex doesn't have a wiring that can reach speeds up to 40mbps like I did with that xfinitywifi (we're stuck on old adsl here). Given that, I can only deduce the fact that the given hotspot is residential one from nearby neighborhood or, in fact, related to nearby businesses.
Diamond Problem Solver

@ComcastElla wrote:

@Paraniod - Thank you for the kind words and for mentioning the secure hotspots. Not a lot of customers know about those. 

My main point is this thread is to explain that if you live in an apartment complex, multiple people can have active hotspots and all of them will have the same name. You never know to which exact gateway you are connected to. Most of the time, our customers are getting confused why they were able to connect to the hotspot yesterday but today it doesn't work. Well, if one of the closest neighbors has an issue with the internet connection and you are connected to his hotspot - you won't get a good connection and since you can't choose to which hotspot to connect, it's difficult to troubleshoot. 

An excellent point Ella !

Official Employee

@Paraniod - Thank you for the kind words and for mentioning the secure hotspots. Not a lot of customers know about those. 

@EG - Yes, they are. My main point in this thread is to explain that if you live in an apartment complex, multiple people can have active hotspots and all of them will have the same name. You never know to which exact gateway you are connected to. Most of the time, our customers are getting confused why they were able to connect to the hotspot yesterday but today it doesn't work. Well, if one of the closest neighbors has an issue with the internet connection and you are connected to his hotspot - you won't get a good connection and since you can't choose to which hotspot to connect, it's difficult to troubleshoot. 

Diamond Problem Solver

@ComcastElla wrote:

@Paraniod - You are correct, there are two types of the hotspots. Businesses can have both types (depends on the gateway) - xfinitywifi and XFINITY (secured).  

FWIW, there are "strand mounted" public WiFi transceivers on various poles as well.

Silver Problem Solver

Yep, I won't nit-pick, but you can download a security cert as opposed to using an app for XFINITY, you do a great job though, good luck! Smiley Happy

Official Employee

@Paraniod - You are correct, there are two types of the hotspots. Businesses can have both types (depends on the gateway) - xfinitywifi and XFINITY (secured). In order to connect to XFINITY hotspot, you have to have an app. However, most of the times, if a customer tries to connect to a hotspot at his residence - it's usually a residential hotspot (from a neighbor, not from a business) because of the range limitations. And as you mentioned, residential customers only have xfinitywifi hotspots transmitted from the gateways so all of them will have the same name "xfinitywifi" due to security reasons. 

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastElla wrote:

@Archantall hotspots have the same name "xfinitywifi". Let's see what the engineers are going to say., They can see to which exact hotspot you connected to. 

Not really. XFINITY and xfinitywifi are not the same. XFINITY hotspots are secured and provided by local business or wirestrand connection,. xfintitywifi hotspots are provided by all Comcast residential rental gateways. Used to be that cablewifi was the same with other parcipitating ISP's not sure if that still applies....

Official Employee

@Archant - I don't think your receiver confuses signals, however, all hotspots have the same name "xfinitywifi". Let's see what the engineers are going to say., They can see to which exact hotspot you connected to. 

Regular Visitor

The fact that residential hotspots can be turned on/off makes the best explanation to the given situation. However, xfinity website is showing 2 business hotspots right at my address and one more from the hospital facility that is next to me. Would it be possible that my receiver confuses/mixes signals?

Official Employee

Hi Archant - If you are trying to connect to a residential hotspot and it doesn't work, we won't be able to help. It's up to the customers if they want to enable/disable the hotspot. I can submit a ticket to a WiFi engineering team and see to which hotspot you try to connect. Please send me a private message and include your full name, the account holder's name and address as it's listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number, MAC address of your device. Thank you!

Diamond Problem Solver

I'm going to try escalating your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic.

Regular Visitor

Xfinitiywifi - No Internet Connection

Hello,

I've recently got a 30 day plan for a local xfinity wifi public hotspot, which worked perfectly for 1 week straight, after which the hotspot itself stopped being connected to the internet.

Specifically every time I connect it takes a while to optain an IP address and then fails with typical error message "No internet, open," and the browser doesn't even attempt to reach the router and fires DNS probe fail code. I've tried 4 different devices to test it out including other 2 users who lost their connection at the same time as me and everythig results in the same issue. 

My main adapter is Asus PCE AC-88, which can get the signal from any source across the entire neighborhood. 

Other hotspots in other neighborhoods work perfectly with same devices.

However, after doing a lot of troubleshooting, hardware changes and updates, moving inside and even outside the house the situation hasn't changed. Xfinity customer service completely refused to reason on what the real problem is, they simply made me do same things I already did myself, stressed on the point I'm too far away from the hotspot (15-20m including the fact that their website is showing 3 sources around me and my adapter can get perfect signall from 150m away), and offered 15$ refund (seriously?). I just wanted them to send a technician to the source or just check on it remotely and, unfortunately, they ignored my main message and made me look like I'm guilty of the given situation.

As a result, main questions are: How can I reach somebody in customer support who follows the logic and not the cheat sheet in front of self or how can I manually force/setup my DNS/protocols to make the thing work? 

P.S. I've already googled dozens of solutions and tried a good amount of them, which makes the most logical deduction that it's the hotspot's fault.