Community Forum

XB6 Range and performance

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Re: XB6 Range and performance

I Contacted LinkSys about my slow speed issue when connected to the Xfinity modem. They replied with the following:

"The Linksys EA9500 is actually a gigabit router and should be able to handle 1GBps or more. It is possible that the routers settings was affected with the changes from the ISP.
We suggest that you try to reset the router to factory defaults and configure it again. Once done, test the speed again to make sure.

Also, we recommend that you test the speed when directly connected to the modem so that you can compare it to the router.

Let us know how it goes."

I did as they suggested and it fixed the problem.

Frequent Visitor

Yesterday my performance dropped from 150-170 Mbps to 60. I had a LinkSys EA9500 connected in bridge mode to an X3 modem and I would receive 150 - 170 Mbps prior to yesterday. I have my PC connected via LAN. Comcast sent a tech and a good one and he checked everything and informed me the Comcast rolled out an upgarde in speed up to 300Mbps. So the fix was to swap the modem to a XB6-A and still I could could only get 60 Mbps. So he told me to plug it into the Xfinity modem and bang I was getting 270-300 Mbps. The tech mentioned that maybe my router was bad or it was not capable. I still want to use my EA9500.Do I need to configure the settings differently in my router?

Frequent Visitor

I also have the gigabit connection using the Arris TG3482G (XB6) and was having a ton of latency and disconnects playing online games like WOW and also a bunch of disconnects from WIFI on our cell phones (iPhone X and 6s and also galaxy note 8 and s9 plus). I finally decided to put the XB6 in bridge mode and connect that to a Linksys EA7500 and pretty much all of my issues went a way. My cell phones are no longer disconnecting from WIFI and I am no longer being disconnected when playing online games, etc.

thanks

Jason

Contributor

Wow that’s pretty crazy.
When I had my Linksys EA9500 hooked up I could hit 500Mbps on my iPhone 8Plus.
My speeds are all over the place with the XB6. One test would say 430 then next test would be 190.

I did see that plume is releasing a “super pod” this month that I’m hoping xfinity upgrade too from its current xFi pods. I would like to extend my current WiFi and keep up good speeds and functionality of the xFi software. The big drop off in speed is kind of scaring me off of the current versions on the xFi pods.
Expert

My iPhone X result (this is with the ASUS router, previously the CGM4140COM hit a max of 450 Mbps.

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
60265C2D-17F2-4462-9956-F5CC24B9F7F7.png
Contributor

Yes.  I saw that.  I did ask the lady I talked to in the advanced support connection department and she did ensure me that they were sending me a replacement XB6 to replace my current defective one (hotspot wont enable).  But they also said that last time and sent me an XB3 anyways even though im on the gigabit plan which I had to return.  

Diamond Problem Solver

@JoeInPa wrote:

As far as getting an XB6-T I understand that it cant be specified but its just fustrating because I have had 4-5 different comcast employees reccomend switching to the XB6-T but I am unable to get one.  

Hello @JoeInPa

FWIW, I'm not sure if you saw this additional info in your other (locked) thread in the Customer Service Board;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/XB6-T-modem/m-p/3088805/highlight/true#M154104

Contributor

That seems to be the census between the XB6-T over the XB6-A

As far as wifi range that is kind of a dissapointment.  You would think that the speeds the modem is designed to pump out that the wi-fi would be a little better.  I would put it in bridgemode and use my own router but I do like some of the software features of xfi.  I like being able to turn off my kids ipad at bedtime and such.   Also my connections and speed have been fluxuating since I upgraded to gigabit so I would rather use an XB6 since for me at least it seems more stable than my personal SB8200.  

Expert

Performance wise, I've found the Technicolor CGM4140COM (XB6-T) to be much better than the Arris XB6-A. I suspect the Arris' Intel Puma 7 chipset to be a major factor, as it suffers from a lot of the jitter and lag as its predecessor, the infamous Puma 6. I remember playing several games online with the Arris and nearly throwing my headset away in frustration over the freezing and lagging. Don't have any of that with the Technicolor gateway. 

Unfortunately the WiFi range still leaves a bit to be desired, as my iPhone X would drop down to the 2.4GHz band or even disconnect completely if I venture out into the storage shed in the back. Rather than investing in the XFi Pods or other network extenders I wound up bridging the gateway to my ASUS RT-AC88U router and everything is working perfectly now. Plus I get a lot more wireless options with the ASUS router. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Contributor

The point of the thread was to see if I could get other feedback on the performance of the XB6 modem.  There are so many threads about modems that dont work well but I wanted to see if I could get people to comment on what was working well for them.  

Overall the XB6 platform isnt bad but their is some room for improvement.

1. I wish you could choose between having the xfinity public hotspot or a guest network

2. For being an all in one device the speed and range of wi-fi is ok but not great.  It would be nice if the xfi pods were a little higher end allowing for better speeds with the gigabit plan

As far as getting an XB6-T I understand that it cant be specified but its just fustrating because I have had 4-5 different comcast employees reccomend switching to the XB6-T but I am unable to get one.  

Official Employee

(JoeInPa, don't mean to hack your discussion thread but I just found out, unfortunately, we can't specify which Xb6 we send in the mail. Sorry!)

Contributor

XB6 Range and performance

I thought I would start a thread for people to talk about their experiences with the XB6 Modem on Gig service.

My old setup was an SB8200 goint to a linksys EA9500 router (tri band MU-MIMO 5400 Mbps total output)

Wired speeds 900-930 Mbps and latency between 6-17ms (Going through the router)

wireless speeds on iPhone 8Plus (5 feet) 500 Mbps down latency 11-17ms , (30 feet) 250 Mbps down latency 17-20ms

Using the XB6 (Arris version) in bridge mode to the Linksys EA9500

Wired and wireless speeds were basically the same as the old setup

Using the XB6 only 

Wired speeds did stay the same but I did notice an increase in latency 17-30ms

Wireless speeds (5 feet) 350 down latency 17-30ms,  (30 feet) 350 Mbps down latency between 20-30ms

Overall i noticed the wireless speeds of the XB6 up close seem to be slower but at a distance seem to be quicker and the latency is increased.  However the XB6 does seem to keep a more stable docsis 3.1 connection over the arris sb8200.  The XB6 does have a little more latency and jitter than the old setup.  I am tempted to try XB6-A (Bridge mode disabled) only for a few weeks and just leave the Linksys EA9500 on as my network switch and guest network but I am a little concerned with the increased latency and jitter because i have a Verizon LTE network extender hooked up to my network and the increased latency and jitter will impact my phone call quality.  I did try really hard to get the XB6-T model because all the reviews stated it deals with latency much better than the XB6-A model but apparently its impossible to get in my area.  

How has everyones elses experiences been?