Community Forum

Would this work?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Would this work?

Hello XFINITY community, i have been a happy costumer but today wanted to stop paying 11 bucks a month to rent a modem when i could buy one with a router. Plus my internet has been going around 25 mbgs on 2.4ghz and 50 mgbs on 5hz when im paying For 150 mgps. I have the TG1682G without a router and would like to know if i got the TG862R or TG862G with a router would my wifi be the same or better.
Thanks
Expert

Re: Would this work?

You may very well get better performance with a modern high quality stand-alone router. And if you want to continue to use their phone service, I recommend that you use this stand-alone cable modem (with phone support) rather than buying an 862 which has only 8 downstream channels compared to the 16 channels of the CM500V.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM500V.aspx

The 862 is a combo gateway device that would need to be put in to bridge mode if you want to use a separate router with it. And it is known to be problematic

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much,
I would just like to know if there was a modem that was a inbewteen the 862 and cm500v, as much as quality is important i view price as a factor.
Expert

Look through their approved devices here;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!