Community Forum

Wireless network Connection help

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Wireless network Connection help

I have Xfinity Performance Internet. I have a Linksys cable modem/router. I spilled coffee on my sony vaio laptop and the wireless internet quit working so I have to use a Netgear usb wireless Ac Adapter that I installed. Up until then my Linksys06653 is the internet access name that my laptop would sign into. It always showed 72 -100 Mbps. After i installed the Netgear wireless adapter to my laptop it now shows 2 connections for me to choose to sign in with. One is Linksys06653 (the only one I had before) and Linksys06653_G

When it signs in to the Linksys06553_G it shows speed as 433.0 Mbps not the usual 72-100 Mbps. Is it normal for me to have 2 different internet connections with the same password. All I know is my laptop is faster then its ever been since installing the Netgear adapter.

Thanks for any help.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Wireless network Connection help

@wendy2011 wrote:

I have Xfinity Performance Internet. I have a Linksys cable modem/router. I spilled coffee on my sony vaio laptop and the wireless internet quit working so I have to use a Netgear usb wireless Ac Adapter that I installed. Up until then my Linksys06653 is the internet access name that my laptop would sign into. It always showed 72 -100 Mbps. After i installed the Netgear wireless adapter to my laptop it now shows 2 connections for me to choose to sign in with. One is Linksys06653 (the only one I had before) and Linksys06653_G

When it signs in to the Linksys06553_G it shows speed as 433.0 Mbps not the usual 72-100 Mbps. Is it normal for me to have 2 different internet connections with the same password. All I know is my laptop is faster then its ever been since installing the Netgear adapter.

Thanks for any help.

Waiting 2 weeks for any answer. Can anyone out there help?

Expert

Without knowing the model numbers of your adapter or router I would say that the new adapter that states (AC) is a "dual WiFi band" 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (AC) capable one and it is now associating with the faster 5 GHz band instead of the slower 2.4 GHz band that is broadcasted from your router.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Well your linksys modem/router is dual band wireless. Perhaps the wireless network card in the laptop was single 2,4 band only.

Now you have a dual band USB adapter you can see both the 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless networks. Typically the 2,4GHz network will have greater range, but will be slower speed. The 5 GHz network will have less range but will be faster.

(to echo EG)...... I did edit out a paragraph, keep forgetting that Performance Pro can be up to 150/5 these days and not just Performance 25. Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Thank you both for answering my question. Now I know the difference between them and why I have 2 internet connections.